Does color temperature affect noise profiles?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
fantauzzi

Does color temperature affect noise profiles?

Post by fantauzzi »

I shot RAW pictures with the digital camera, then convert them to TIFF files, that I can handle with Neat Image.

I first take a RAW shot of the Neat Image target, convert it to TIFF applying a certain color temperature, then use it to build a device profile.

When I use the profile to filter noise from pictures, should the color temperature used for RAW conversion of the target match the color temperature used for RAW conversion of the pictures?

Thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Optimally, it should match, however the influence of color temperature on noise is not strong so in many cases you can neglect it.

Vlad
fantauzzi

Post by fantauzzi »

Just in case somebody is interested... I have done a bit of experimentig.

I have balanced both the Neat Image target and the noisy picture in the most appropriate way (I shoot both with a Kodak gray card to help me). Therefore the color temperature of the original target and the original picture do not match. Still, after conversion from RAW to TIFF both have well balanced colors, with neutral grays.

Applying the noise profile obtained from the target to the picture, the result is very good.

A thing that surprised me is that, if I convert instead the target from RAW to TIFF using the same color temperature used for the picture, therefore getting a terrible color cast in the target TIFF, NeatImage produces with the picture exactly the same result as before!

I compared the two results with Photoshop, putting them in different layers with "Difference" blending mode, and I couldn't find on pixel of difference.