Profile for old MniDV footage

general questions about Neat Video
petrumi

Profile for old MniDV footage

Post by petrumi »

Hello everybody, my first post, sorry for bad gramar and other mistakes, english is not my native language.

I have tons of old miniDV footage of my family, waiting in the queue to edit. This is in AVI format, imported from MiniDV tapes.

I'm using latest plug-in for Vegas Pro 14, looking to buy the same plugin for Adobe Premiere.

straight to the point:

If I have few clips recorded in the same dark room, should I create one good profile from the best clip, saves it and using in the rest of similar clips?

Second question:
Is there any database of neat profiles for specific cameras?
I'm looking for profiles for: Panasonic GH5, Mavic Air, Panasonic HDC-SD60 and this old MiniDV Panasonic camera.

Greeting and thanks for reply.
Michał
NVTeam

Re: Profile for old MniDV footage

Post by NVTeam »

Hi Michal,

If several clips have the same noise (which usually happens when you shoot them using the same camera working in the same mode in the same lighting conditions), then it is fine to use one profile to process them all.

There is no database of profiles for video cameras at this time. Building your own custom profiles for your specific clips usually delivers better results with video than using someone else's profiles build for video undergoing possibly another workflow.

Vlad
petrumi

Post by petrumi »

Thanks for reply.

I have made a nice profile for this footage. Looks amazing after few tweeks.

If I want to: stalibize, denoise and apply LUTS what I should do first?

BTW:

For ~10USD I can buy pack of noise preset for Mavic Air (2,7 and 4K resolution, different ISO). If I print recommended pattern and shoot 1-2 second clip in different ISO and resolution mode, the result should be similar?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

> If I want to: stalibize, denoise and apply LUTS what I should do first?

This may depend on particular stalibize algorithms and also on footage itself
so it is best to try both orders (stalibize, then denoise vs denoise, then stalibize)
to see what delivers better overall results.
LUTS can go after all that.

> If I print recommended pattern and shoot 1-2 second clip in different ISO and resolution mode, the result should be similar?
Yes, the profiles should be good too. The filter presets may require some additional tweaking depending on specific camera,
footage, personal preferences.

Vlad
petrumi

Post by petrumi »

Thanks for reply.

I will print this pattern in color and make some tests. I will be easy with GH5 becouse of manual focus. But how to shoot clips with Mavic Air, which has automatic focus? How close to camera should I place this pattern? Prepare one profile for each part od the day (mornig, dusk, late evening, night with street lapms) with each step of ISO?

I'm using Leica 12-60mm f2.8 and Leica 25mm f1.4. I have to make profiles to each lens...(yes?)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I would start with a simpler and easier method of preparing noise profiles for your video: try to just build a fresh new profile for every clip you work with. The benefits are: (1) you will learn how to do that well in order to achieve the best results, (2) you will avoid possible mismatch of noise properties when using profiles built using another clip, (3) you will usually save time on choosing and loading a pre-built profile (Auto Profile works faster and even manually choosing an area is often faster than loading a profile from disk), (4) you will get profiles that are most suitable for individual clips.

Once you master such per-clip profiling, you will get a better idea of whether it is worth it to develop a reusable set of profiles for your cameras considering the questions about the procedures that you raised.

So, my advise is to start with Auto Profile on a per-clip basis.

Regarding your questions:
> But how to shoot clips with Mavic Air, which has automatic focus?
It must have some speed limitations, so if you move the target away from the camera, then you will likely get a few frames that are somewhat out of focus.

> How close to camera should I place this pattern?
The instruction suggests to make the target fill the whole frame.

> Prepare one profile for each part od the day (mornig, dusk, late evening, night with street lapms) with each step of ISO?

There are many parameters that may affect the properties of noise generated by the camera. Some of the most important parameters are listed in the Device Noise Profiles section of the user guide. Please see it first. Then you can decide if you want to include any additional parameters such as lighting differences due to time of the day. It may be too much work with too little practical difference. Try to build two profiles for two different shots and compare the noise levels using Profile Viewer for example. The same applies to different lens.

Thank you,
Vlad
petrumi

Post by petrumi »

Thank you for answer! I will read manual. Have a nice day!