Why do the frame selection window and preview window have different brightness?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
stevevido

Why do the frame selection window and preview window have different brightness?

Post by stevevido »

I noticed that the image in the "Please select a frame for profiling and preview" is brighter than the image on the Device Noise Profile page--why?

The information box on the Device Noise Profile says the gamma has been corrected. Is this causing the brightness levels to be different? What is correcting the gamma? Why is the gamma being corrected?

Thanks,
Steve
Fifonik

Re: Why do the frame selection window and preview window have different brightness?

Post by Fifonik »

I'd like to know this as well.
However, no issues (as this way noise is more noticeable and easier to work with), just curious.
NVTeam

Re: Why do the frame selection window and preview window have different brightness?

Post by NVTeam »

Hi Steve,

I believe you are asking about the VirtualDub plug-in, is that correct?
Could you make a test case allowing to reproduce that on our computers?
For example if you have a clip that shows up like that when being opened in VirtualDub and then in Neat Video,
could you send it to us for direct testing?

By the way, the Device Noise Profile box means the following:
"Neat Video assumes that the data supplied by the host application has been gamma-corrected by the host application."
Neat Video does not gamma-correct those data, it just documents that assumption regarding the data supplied by the host application.
If you know that the assumption is incorrect, then you can try to adjust the settings of the host application for example.

In some versions of Neat Video plug-in, for example in Vegas plug-in you can also adjust that assumption in the plug-in itself as described in the section "5.4. Stage IV. Check input frame".

Thank you,
Vlad