VHS to clean video file workflow

general questions about Neat Video
Rikki

VHS to clean video file workflow

Post by Rikki »

Hi,

I am interested in NV to take old VHS recordings, clean them up and then get them ready for turning into DVD/DivX files.

What kind of hardware and software would I need and what method should I use to do the capture and conversion. It would be UK (PAL) VHS tapes so 25fps.

Many thanks,

Rikki
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Hi Rikki,

I think any Pentium3 and higher computer would work with modern video processing software packages but of course a more powerful computer is a benefit. For example, to use Neat Video (to reduce noise and grain in captured footage) I recommend to use Core 2 Duo or Core Duo (faster versions if possible) with fast RAM. Generally, the more memory the better for all video processing tasks.

You will have to use different tools in your workflow to capture the video data, post-process it, and finally encode the resulting digital video in DivX or another format. It probably makes sense to arrange the workflow around VirtualDub and add filters and codecs that would do most of the postprocessing and encoding. Neat Video is just a small part of the postprocessing part of the worfklow. There are many filters available for VirtualDub and there are many people who use it to do VHS->DVD/DivX conversion. You can easily find them for example in the VideoHelp forum to learn from them about all parts of the workflow. Once again, Neat Video is just one of the tools you need to restore VHS footage.

Vlad
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Thanks for that Vlad,

I'm a long time owner of NeatImage (since early 2003!) and have only just decided to restore and recover my VHS collection so will be placing an order as soon as I can get the right hardware in place to capture.

Kind regards,

Rikki
aino

Post by aino »

Thats great.... I have also plan to purchase that product.

For Vlad:
My source material is (a) VHS tapes and (b) digital video camrecorder. I'm using VideoReDo to clean-up the VHS material to produce mpeg output files.
But, I plan to purchase Adobe Premier Elements to process the DV material. Will I be able to use Adobe Premier Elements to author the mpeg files from VideoReDo, or should I purchase a separate authoring program like TMPEGEnc DVD Author?

Thanks for your advice....
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I think you will be able to do that using Premiere.

Vlad
aino

Post by aino »

Okay! Thank you for the info.... :lol: