GPU not being used in 5.3 Demo

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
kingofwit

GPU not being used in 5.3 Demo

Post by kingofwit »

Hi

Trying to test 5.3 Demo in Vegas 15. No matter what setting I try I only get 4-8% GPU usage while rendering (CPU usage is 80+%).

Have a NVIDIA P1000 which is detected by NV. Optimization says to use 7 cores + GPU. Tested GPU only & CPU + GPU with little difference.

Timeline is only SD file using DV-AVI being rendered to MP4 (I've tried rendering to various MP4 codecs in Vegas with little difference).

I've even tried enabling/disabling GPU in Vegas thinking maybe there was a conflict.

Vegas and video drivers are all up to date.

Handbrake rendering using H.264 NVENC will use 80% percent of GPU so I know GPU acceleration works.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
NVTeam

Re: GPU not being used in 5.3 Demo

Post by NVTeam »

Please try to use this clip for a test. Will it shows a higher GPU utilization?

Please also Run Optimize Settings test again and watch GPU utilization during that test. Will it go higher than 8%?

Do you watch the CUDA indicator of the GPU utilization (that is the right one for Neat Video) in Task Manager?

Thank you,
Vlad
kingofwit

Post by kingofwit »

Thanks for the follow-up.

Here are the results. The clip you provided did not make a difference in testing results. I did some more testing below.

First I was initially measuring usage based on the what us shown in task manager. Using the GPU Utilization tool it shows that almost 50% is being used BUT only In situation #1 below (Where as Task Manager only shows up to 13%) but more importantly the actual real-time results are very weird.

For example:
A 1 minute clip of SD footage rendered to SD MP4
Without any effects it renders in 50 sec (Let's call this 30FPS)
1. With NV 5 Demo filtering and setting to GPU Only it renders in 1 min 50 sec (~2x time so call it 15FPS) - Uses ~50% GPU
2. With NV 5 Demo filtering and setting to CPU & GPU (optimized) it renders in 1 min 40 sec - Uses ~10% GPU!
3. With NV 5 Demo filtering and setting to CPU Only it renders also in 1 min 40 sec - still only uses ~10% GPU!
4. With NV 3 (I own) the render also only takes 1 min 40 sec.

Conclusions so far - GPU Acceleration "works" but doesn't make a real world difference and in may even be slower?

Any more ideas?

Appreciate the assistance as I have a big project coming up and need al the cycles I can spare.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

GPU is less efficient with small frames like SD, so it is not surprising that there is little benefit from using GPU in this case.

Please post the results of Optimize test for SD and for fullHD resolutions.

Thank you,
Vlad