Neat Video Vegas - stutter

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
MoldCAD

Post by MoldCAD »

Thanks Vlad!

Will the new SDK announced by Sony help any further?

"Video Plug-in SDK: Video Effects Plug-in Architecture: Vegas Pro 10 now offers a completely new video effects plug-in architecture based on the Open Effects Association standard. This industry-leading standard was created from the combined experience of the leading companies in the visual effects industry. The new architecture is accessed by a new
software development kit (SDK), which reduces the developer's workload
by automating UI integration. These features will benefit editors by
greatly expanding the available visual effects plug-ins available for
Vegas Pro 10
."

Thanks,

Piotr
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I certainly hope so. We are looking forward to see the new SDK and new Vegas and test it all together.

Vlad
MoldCAD

Post by MoldCAD »

Dear Vlad,

With the new version, when I open the Configure window it doesn't display the full resolution frame (1920x1080) - instead, the frame size in pixels (as reported under NV) is 480x270...

This happens intermittently in Vegas 9.0e 64bit.

What can the reason be?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Vegas gives a smaller resolution version instead of full frame. Perhaps the preview quality is not set to "Best (Full)" in Vegas.

Vlad
MoldCAD

Post by MoldCAD »

Thnaks Vlad - that was because of lower res preview, indeed.

I have another question, still concerning Vegas and Neat Video's Temporal Filter:

- oftentimes, I pre-process particularly noisy clips from my EX1 just to get rid of the noise, and perhaps sharpen to taste. But when a clip is shot hand-held, I'd like to also use stabilizing plug-in (like the new Mercalli V2) in the same go, to minimize the number of re-encodings...

Now, I realize that with both de-nosing and de-shaking filters working on several frames for temporal effects, there may be a danger of some interference between the two. For instance, I've observed in one such clip that while the main lateral and tilt movements were eliminated correctly, some shake has actually been added to it!

It stabilized OK after I removed Neat Video from the FX chain.

Could you please advise on whether this may be a problem indeed, and should be avoided?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It all depends on specific stabilizing algorithms used. I recommend to directly test two combinations of NR and stabilizing filters by changing their order to see which way they work better together. If no order is good enough then I guess you will prefer to run them one at a time. For NV itself it would be better if footage was already stable before processing, however that may not be possible during processing, when you stabilize and then immediately reduce noise. That Vegas limitation will most likely hit both filters again.

Vlad
Joran

Post by Joran »

Hello Pjotr (MoldCAD) and Vlad. Some comments:

1) I’m glad I directed you to this forum MoldCAD, and as you can see: the support is excellent.

2) I have tested noise reduction and stabilizing as an effects chain in Vegas. The result is not good. So now I first de noise my clips (and save them) and then stabilize the de noised clips.

3) Contrary to what I initially thought (and contrary to Vlads statement here), the noise reduction is better when I first de noise and then stabilize the de noised clips.

Jøran Toresen
MoldCAD

Post by MoldCAD »

Hi Jøran

Yes - Vlad is providing an excellent support; thank you for indicating this forum to me.

I agree with your points; in my case both stabilization (Mercalli V2) and de-noising with Neat Video should best be done as a pre-processing, single render. I have tried them in both sequences, but it seems new "avoid lag" option has the most drastic effect (with it ON, I'm getting images with actually increased high-frequency shake that were not seen in the original footage).

Cheers

Piotr