Neat Video for Highend work

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Rivai

Neat Video for Highend work

Post by Rivai »

Dear NV Team,

I feel so much more comfortable of doing noise removal on shot by shot basis since it will guarantee us that we dont remove what we want to keep on the first place. I found that this is not a problem on TVC or Music Video where we have a relatively short duration and will not take that much time as compare to feature film.

In your tutorial you suggest us to download the test pattern and bring it on set to have it shoot before hand. But why does it have to out of focus and not in focus ? I will imagine that it is better if it is in focus so NV know what to look at. Secondly, do we have to shoot a profile everytime we change set, lighting condition and camera setting ?

And secondly, our finishing tools for film is autodesk smoke. And i think i will be needing to apply this process before export for mastering. It will be awfully painful if i have to do this outside smoke and bring it back if there are lots of shots. I dont like the idea of doing this process with Final FX in tact, like dissolve, etc and beside, every scene is different in lighting. What is your future plan ?

Rivai
NVTeam

Re: Neat Video for Highend work

Post by NVTeam »

Rivai wrote:why does it have to out of focus and not in focus ?
To keep the texture of the target material out of the picture. We need to collect only noise, not texture.
Rivai wrote:Secondly, do we have to shoot a profile everytime we change set, lighting condition and camera setting ?
Ideally, yes. But if you cannot do that, you still can build a decent profile from the footage itself, from regular frames.
Rivai wrote:And secondly, our finishing tools for film is autodesk smoke. And i think i will be needing to apply this process before export for mastering. It will be awfully painful if i have to do this outside smoke and bring it back if there are lots of shots. I dont like the idea of doing this process with Final FX in tact, like dissolve, etc and beside, every scene is different in lighting. What is your future plan ?
Smoke itself is not very easy to support host application (we have some indirect experience with it). So if we will support it (that is a big if), it will anyway take a while to develop anything for that host. Therefore I recommend to simply pre-process the footage that you later edit in smoke, pre-process it in another host application and then include already clean versions of the clips into your main project for editing and other post-processing. I think this is the simplest solution with smoke at this point.

Vlad
Rivai

Post by Rivai »

Hi Vlad

I understand, in this case if it's the only most logical way. I hope that you are in the work of updating with GPU capabilities or any speed enhancement.

Thanks
Rivai