Concerning the temporal option / filter

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Joran

Concerning the temporal option / filter

Post by Joran »

Hello

At the moment I’m using the noise reduction plug-in in TMPGEnc 3.0 Express. I think it’s good, and it performs both spatial and temporal noise reduction. Then to my questions.

1. Generally speaking, does the quality improve noticeably when using the temporal option? And can you say by ‘how much’?
2. How many frames is the ‘optimal’ setting for the temporal filter?
3. How much is the speed decreased by using the temporal option?
4. And how much does the inclusion of one more frame slow down the calculations?

Best Regards,
Joran
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Hello Joran,

Thank you for the message. I will try to answer your questions:

1. Yes, quality increases when temporal filtration is used. How much? - This depends on both objective and subjective criteria and therefore cannot be easily quantified. I recommend to try different settings to see how it works for you with your video data.

2. "Optimal" setting usually depends on specific video data and user preferences, therefore I recommend to try different settings to see how which values produce best results for you.

3-4. On my computer, processing time increases by about 30% per one more step in the radius of the temporal filter. This may depend on hardware so I recommend to measure this on your computer for more accurate data.

Hope this helps.
Vlad