FCP 7.0.3 malloc Neat video again

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
mark brindle

FCP 7.0.3 malloc Neat video again

Post by mark brindle »

Hi
ive had this before and seen this same issue on this forum but no solution.
Render in FCP sometimes causes neat Video to pop up a message saying Malloc line 185 allocate more memory etc etc and then you click ok and another pop up message saying the same thing comes up - continues until you force quit. very annoying as you must force quit FCP and lose all your work since last save or autosave. FCP shows its running at 100% utilisation but render bar goes no where and you cannot cancel render due to the pop up box.

Can you please please remove this pop up window message . if you remove the pop up you will solve the problem!!

typically this happens if i have gone to render the whole time line rather then one clip. if i choose to render one clip its usually ok, if i dont select one or two clips and choose to render all i get this message pop up. but not always.

i have a prores 422 HQ timeline currently that i am grading and its very annoying to say the least.

actual message says:

Error!
Line: 185
Function : malloc:
Error: neat video cannot get memory block from the operating system (or plug-in host).
(8294400-byte memory block is requested from : 90f4ac53)
Please make more memory available for applicatio9n and retry.

Nothing i do and 'retry' will work.
Great.[/img]
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The problem is more complex that it may look like. The condition when the plug-in is showing that message is the condition of lack of free memory in the whole FCP process. Because FCP 7 is a 32-bit application, the total amount of memory available to that process (with all its components including Neat Video) is about 2.5-3 GB, which is not that much. When the whole process runs into that condition, there is nothing the filter can do, it simply cannot continue to work without that memory. In principle, we can remove the message but that will not remove the problem. In the best case, we can instruct the plug-in to stop complaining but of course also to stop applying the noise reduction from that point on (since it anyway cannot continue) and the rest of the clip will remain unprocessed. Then instead of the problem of that error message you will have another problem of incompletely processed footage, which is likely to be not nice as well. Therefore, the best solution is to prevent running into that condition from the beginning, whenever possible. How can you achieve that? With Neat Video 2 (the version that you have), you can use several measures:

1. Reduce the amount of system memory given to FCP: Preferences > System Settings > Memory & Cache > Application

By default, it is usually set to 100%. Please try to reduce to something like 50-60%. If more memory within those 2.5-3 GB remains free then OSX may be able to provide it to Neat Video when it is needed for processing.

2. Disable multiprocessor support in Neat Video Options (more cores use more memory).

3. When you apply Neat Video, try to use a generally simpler project, with fewer clips and fewer filters applied. If possible, render them one at a time, perhaps even in an ad-hoc one-clip project indended to pre-denoise your clips that you would later use in your regular editing project. Restart FCP whenever possible. This makes memory resources recover.

4. Use a simpler compression scheme, like 1-pass instead of 2-pass. Or use a different output compression codec. Different schemes and different codecs use different amount of memory. Simpler ones usually are more economical in terms of memory use.

Or if you can switch from 32-bit FCP7 to 64-bit Motion 5, that would be the best solution, because 64-bit applications are not limited by that 2.5-3GB limit and the memory issues are much less likely to arise.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
atlfokus

Post by atlfokus »

I'm having this same issue as well. Running FCP 7.X at 50% memory and still crashing when I try to render.

I tried setting the number of cores to 4 doen from 8 in hopes that might help.

Question, if I've purchased Neat for FCP is it installed for Motion 5?

Thanks,

-AP
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The latest update of the FCP plug-in will work in Motion 5 indeed. Motion 5 is 64-bit, it should be able to use all available RAM.

Vlad