Recommended workflow for Edius multicam project?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
hungaristani

Recommended workflow for Edius multicam project?

Post by hungaristani »

Hi,

I have an Edius multicam project recorded in 3D with 11 cameras.

Since Neat Video doesn't work with Edius (:(((, I need to find the optimal workflow to transfer the project to AE for noise filtering (and some further processing, too).

Applying NV on the raw material would involve a lot of unnecessary processing (of all the unused parts) and I'm not sure if the externally modified source files could be reused without any issues in the original Edius project, which already contains a huge amount of edits.

Exporting the finished project as a pair of L+R files would not be optimal for NV processing, because every camera would require different noise profiles. That would mean I'd have to manually slice the exported files at every edit point in AE and apply NV clip by clip, which sounds like a complete nightmare, plus it would work for plain cuts only, but transitions (where two noise patterns are present simultaneously) would be a mess.

So, I thought of exporting every track (i.e. every camera) separately as L+R files including all edits, so if they get aligned on separate tracks in AE, they would make up the final version of the Edius project with the advantage of having one track per camera allowing for easier NV processing.

Is there a better workflow to do this from a NV processing point of view or shall I go ahead with this approach?

Thanks for any input.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I am not sure how the suggested way better than applying NV to the original clips before they even get to Edius. Sure, you can save some time if you process a whole long track instead of multiple shorter clips but the noise reduction applied to such a track will only be accurate if the noise properties are more or less the same within the track. If you have very different clips in it, then you better treat them separately, using different instances of NV (with different noise profiles). Ideally, just process each input clip individually and then use new clean versions of those clips in your Edius project.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
hungaristani

Post by hungaristani »

NVTeam wrote:I am not sure how the suggested way better than applying NV to the original clips before they even get to Edius.
As I wrote, it's too late to apply NV to the files before they get to Edius, because they're already there and a huge amount of editing has already been done to them and I surely wouldn't want to lose that.
NVTeam wrote:Sure, you can save some time if you process a whole long track instead of multiple shorter clips but the noise reduction applied to such a track will only be accurate if the noise properties are more or less the same within the track.
Exporting one track for each camera would mean that at least the device specific noise characteristics would be the same through the whole track.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

hungaristani wrote:Exporting one track for each camera would mean that at least the device specific noise characteristics would be the same through the whole track.
If all parts of the track have more or less the same noise properties (we should remember that one camera can produce quite different noise in different shooting modes) then it should be fine to apply just one instance of NV to the whole track. Enabling the Adaptive Filtration option should help NV to account for minor differences in noise properties along the timeline.

Vlad
hungaristani

Post by hungaristani »

NVTeam wrote:If all parts of the track have more or less the same noise properties (we should remember that one camera can produce quite different noise in different shooting modes) then it should be fine to apply just one instance of NV to the whole track. Enabling the Adaptive Filtration option should help NV to account for minor differences in noise properties along the timeline.
I don't expect to manage with one setting per track, but making 5-10 adjustments would mean a lot less hassle than setting up NV for every clip individually (with 6-800 clips in the project). All tracks were recorded continuously, only the lighting conditions changed, but definitely a lot less frequently than clip by clip.