Preview image squashed when using 30p/60i from Sony NEX

general questions about Neat Video
davidweb

Preview image squashed when using 30p/60i from Sony NEX

Post by davidweb »

I've been experimenting with various frame rates lately. I had been shooting 60p and 24p exclusively. Recently I tried the so-called 30p setting on a couple of Sony Cameras (NEX5N and RX100). From what I've read, since 30p isn't a real part of the AVCHD spec, Sony wraps it in a 60i wrapper.

When I import the files to FCPX, everything works fine. It does list the format in the corner as 1080i, but it plays back like a progressive file (as far as I can tell at least).

Anyway, went to denoise one of the files and noticed that the image in the NV dialog box was squashed. with the resolution listed as "Field: 1920 x 540".

Now I assume this is because it's showing me one of the interlaced fields, with half the vertical resolution of the progressive image.

Does this matter in any way? Does it effect the NV process? Or is it purely cosmetic and I should just ignore it?
NVTeam

Re: Preview image squashed when using 30p/60i from Sony NEX

Post by NVTeam »

davidweb wrote:Now I assume this is because it's showing me one of the interlaced fields, with half the vertical resolution of the progressive image.
Yes, that is correct.
davidweb wrote:Does this matter in any way? Does it effect the NV process? Or is it purely cosmetic and I should just ignore it?
It is the only way it can work properly. If there was a full frame during analysis and preview, while during rendering the filter would receive individual fields (that are smaller, as you can see now), that would cause problems. Analysis and actual filtration must be applied to the same type of data, which means if the host works with individual fields then NV also must work with individual fields (including in analysis/preview stage).

Vlad