A little question

general questions about Neat Video
jpsdr

A little question

Post by jpsdr »

Hello.

I've been wondering about something.
What is the "limitation" of size noise for NV ?
I mean, the size of the "dot" noise will not be the same between an SD 480p video and a super HD 8k video ! For this last one, "dot" noise may begin to be very big, and maybe could not be detected as noise, because it may not match anymore the requiered criteria to be detected as so. You're algorithm may have been tune for some context, wich 4k or either 8k may break. This is what i'm asking to myself, and maybe i'm guessing wrong (as it's just a guess...).
(A true 8k of course, not an upscaled 480p).

So, what is the real situation ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I am not sure there is that difference. If 8k is true and not upscaled from lower resolution, why exactly would the "dot" size be larger in 8k?

Neat Video does cover several sizes, it refers to these scale differences as frequency components. When working in Advanced mode, you can see some visual samples of those components in the filter settings.

Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

NVTeam wrote:I am not sure there is that difference. If 8k is true and not upscaled from lower resolution, why exactly would the "dot" size be larger in 8k?
Vlad
Noise (white noise) eventualy generated by hardware and/or sensors will stay "the same", but i was thinking of "movie grain" from film. It's similar to noise, but the result is a physical fixed size dot on the film. The film transfered in 1k will result for example with dot of around 1 or 2 pixels diameters. This results in a behavior/property similar to white noise, even if it's not. And the fact it's not, so these sames dots, transfered in 8k will result on dots of around 10-15 pixels in diameter. In this case, will the movie grain still/can be considered as noise ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You are right, digitized grain will indeed be larger in 8k, in pixel terms.

I think that for 8k it will still be nicely covered by Neat Video's noise analyzer and will be considered noise. Of course you need to build a noise profile using a good sample of those grains to ensure that.

Vlad