1 License = 1 Machine? (distributed encoding)

general questions about Neat Video
Zach

1 License = 1 Machine? (distributed encoding)

Post by Zach »

I purchased Neat Video for Virtualdub, as it is a really good filter and it gives me real, easy to obtain results. Also I like the fact I can call it in an Avisynth script.

Although as a home user, it was a big purchase for me to invest in (would have gladly bought Home were it not 720p limited). Even with OpenCL the framerates can be a bit slow during rendering HD videos (as expected) and I would like to use distributed encoding to help speed things up.

I've been using Ripbot264 for a while now, and really like being able to spread the workload across several machines on a home network. Are we allowed to use the filter on multiple machines in this manner?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

According to the Neat Video license agreement, a single-user license allows you to use purchased version of Neat Video on more than one computer provided you are only *running* it on one of them at a time, i.e., not simultaneously on two or more. If you need to run the product on multiple computers simultaneously (for example to do the same work faster by dividing the load) then you need a multi-user license or several single-user licenses.

Vlad
Zach

Post by Zach »

Bummer. Thanks for the answer.

edit: I got an error screen when posting my reply, (PHP sendmail or something like that).
vvulture

Post by vvulture »

NVTeam wrote:If you need to run the product on multiple computers simultaneously (for example to do the same work faster by dividing the load)
Vlad
Thats interesting... how would one go about doing this ?? It would be great to have several machines to work on single video clip to speed things up... i would love to do it.

Do tell..... :-)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This kind of capability is offered (or not offered) by each host application itself. For example, After Effects include built-in support for distribute rendering. Nuke can do that too. Perhaps VirtualDub can offer something like that but I am not aware of any direct methods.

Vlad
Zach

Post by Zach »

Sorry, I haven't been to this forum in a while but I thought I would answer this anyway..

Vdub doesn't offer any distributed encoding options that I know of. But I Believe NV can be loaded in Avisynth scripts, right?

Ripbot264 is an encoder suite for distributed encoding of .H264 files, using x264 and various other behind the scenes tools.

That is what I've used in the past. It works with a combination of FFDshow, the Matroska Splitter, Avisynth, and x264 to break a source clip into different trunks, and then send them to encoding servers over a LAN. The encoding job is launched from the encoding client, and the encoding server is run on all machines which will be encoding. The program pretty much handles everything and then reassembles the encoded clips into a single file when they are finished.

The only issue I had is sometimes encoding jobs would hang, taking that specific machine out of the pool until you restarted the program and the job.

But it can be a great boon if you especially use heavy filters, or heavy encoding settings. With just a couple beefy CPU machines, you could take a job down from 6, 10, or however many hours, to less than half that time.