Re-render everything after trimming the clip??

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
wlicpsc

Re-render everything after trimming the clip??

Post by wlicpsc »

Hi there:

I am working on a project which has about 45min clip to go. I firstly applied NeatVideo to denoise, the render time took about 20 hours (meh, I am using my macbook pro retina, don't blame me). After that I tried to apply some subtitles and transitions onto the clip, OK it seemed fine, except for the calculation time has been much longer than usual and my computer even lags heavily when editing the text of subtitles while not rendering. These are all the small problems, and there comes a big one.

I then have seen that my video needs to be trimmed for a bit, so I trimmed the end of it, shortened it for a few seconds. The ruler on the timeline immediately turned fully amber indicating that the entire clip needs to be re-rendered, which makes me very surprised. Isn't it supposed to be none since I only have removed a few seconds of frames? I quickly selected to undo it, then it was back to rendered status. I tried the razor tool instead, and the entire clip needs to be rendered again, so I am confused.

And I wonder how the filter works. It looks like if there is a change of the clip, everything needs to be rendered again --- doesn't final cut save the denoised material somewhere, or everything was calculated on the fly?

Now I have learned the drill... do everything else and then apply the denoising filter at the last step before sending it into compressor or youtube. Is this a standard or there's some settings that I don't know?

Thanks... and I am back rendering the clip again...
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I would expect Final Cut indeed to NOT require to re-render the whole clip in such a situation. I mean it would be only logical and reasonable if FCP didn't re-render. I am not sure why Final Cut decides to re-render in that situation. It is FCP's decision, not Neat Video's. Neat Video has no say in that decision.

Regarding the workflow, I would still recommend to apply Neat Video as the very first filter to each clip. To avoid slow editing and unnecessary re-renders you may want to do the following:
- first set up Neat Video (add it to a clip, build a noise profile, check preview, make sure the preview looks good in FCP preview);
- then disable that instance of Neat Video in filter panel of FCP for now;
- then continue to edit (add texts, trim, add other effects, etc.);
- just before the final render, re-enable that instance of Neat Video in FCP's filter panel and render it all together to export that video.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
wlicpsc

Post by wlicpsc »

Thanks very much Vlad. I now have learned how to do things in order... I just wonder how FCPX can do it like that. Do you guys have any clues about it? or maybe you can discover it later.

Also, if I make any subtitles, especially with background patterns that overlaps with the profiling area, the rendering would stop at somewhere when that subtitle appears. Do you have any scenarios like this before? I mean, even if I have applied NV prior to making the subtitles, then disabled it, then added the subtitles, then applied the final render, it seems to stop at the middle entering a dead loop. The amber glow beyond that place never turns off, but the percentage seems way more than that.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

No, that is something new. Could you please describe the setup of a test project in some more details so that we could directly recreate the same project (same set of filters / subtitles) and could reproduce the problem?

Thank you,
Vlad