Does NV have issues with HuffYuv codec?

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
rimage

Does NV have issues with HuffYuv codec?

Post by rimage »

I just did some processing of files and find I'm getting some glitches - parts where this multicolored "rainbow" static shows up. I'm going from DV to HuffYuv. Below is a link on google drive to an example of one variation of the issue. Other parts of the video are fine, certain frames display this problem.

Wondering if NV is choking on HuffYuv.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZ ... sp=sharing
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Since NV is not directly intreracting with any codecs, it cannot choke on a specific one. The host application can but not NV itself.

I am not sure it is a codec issue though. Could be something else as well.

Could you prepare a reproducible test case (a small test project with just enough clips and filters to be able to reproduce the problem)? So that we ran a render on our machines and were able to directly reproduce it.

Please also check that you run the very latest versions of all software components involved: host application, plug-in, video codecs, video drivers (for the GPU). Please also describe those.

Thank you,
Vlad
rimage

Post by rimage »

NVTeam wrote:Since NV is not directly intreracting with any codecs, it cannot choke on a specific one. The host application can but not NV itself.
Can you explain this? All video is some kind of codec, how does NV not interact with it?
Could you prepare a reproducible test case (a small test project with just enough clips and filters to be able to reproduce the problem)? So that we ran a render on our machines and were able to directly reproduce it.
The issue appears to be random, it might not happen in a short video at all.

The only filter that needs to be in place for it to happen is NV.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

RobertP wrote:
NVTeam wrote:Since NV is not directly intreracting with any codecs, it cannot choke on a specific one. The host application can but not NV itself.
Can you explain this? All video is some kind of codec, how does NV not interact with it?
1. A video file encoded using some codec.
2. The host application uses the codec to reads that video file and to decode individial frames from the clip to process them one by one.
3. When a filter or plug-in is used in your project, the host application sends those decoded frames to the filter/plug-in for processing.
4. Then the filter/plug-in applies its processing to the received frame and returns the processed version of the frame back to the host application.
5. The host application (in the simplest case) encodes those processed frames (using the output video codec of your choice) into a new output video clip on the disk.

As you can see, only the host application works directly with the codecs and with input/output video files. Any filter plug-ins do not have any direct contacts with those. Everything is done through the host application only.
The issue appears to be random, it might not happen in a short video at all.

The only filter that needs to be in place for it to happen is NV.
Well, if the problem is not easily reproducible then you can still check the software components and update if necessary. You can try to disable for example GPU processing in NV Preferences, if it is used now. Perhaps there is a problem with the GPU.

Also, try to disable the temporal filter (set the radius to 0) for a test. If the problem is not reproducible that way then it is going to indicate a problem in the host-codec interactions.

Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Huffyuv begin to be a little old and not maintened.
Try using UT video instead. You'll have the same features, even more format handled (YV12 for exemple), same compression result and faster.
I was first using (old times) huffyuv, then after i used Lagarith (need of x64 and YV12 pluggin), but now i finaly use UT Video (because of some issues with Lagarith).
Of course, on the other hand, UT Video may not work with very old software (like premiere 6.5...), but if you're not using very old software, my advice is for you to switch to UT Video, there is a very high probability it will solve your issue.
rimage

Post by rimage »

I am not sure it is a codec issue though. Could be something else as well.
I have the sliders under the "Noise Reduction Amounts" section all set to 0. I find even though they're at 0 it provides a good level of noise reduction for the particular video I'm treating.

Do you think there's a chance this could be causing a problem? I.e. some quirk within NV where it wants to see the Noise Reduction Amounts sliders set above 0?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Setting the "Noise Reduction Amounts" section to 0 effectively disables the spatial filter only. That does not do anything to the temporal filter.

I suggested to try disabling the temporal filter instead to see if that triggered the problem on/off.

Vlad
rimage

Post by rimage »

jpsdr wrote:Huffyuv begin to be a little old and not maintened.
Try using UT video instead. You'll have the same features, even more format handled (YV12 for exemple), same compression result and faster.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at UT, apparently it requires Vista or newer, my video machine is running XP.
rimage

Re: Does NV have issues with HuffYuv codec?

Post by rimage »

Apparently the problem was being caused by using the Virtualdub Brightness/Contrast filter downstream from NV. After taking the B/C filter out and using just NV, the issue at least so far seems to have disappeared.

Perhaps the thing to do is apply only NV and do other processing in subsequent steps.

I should note the problem didn't occur at all using the Lagarith codec.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

RobertP wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at UT, apparently it requires Vista or newer, my video machine is running XP.
I think XP has been dropped after version 12. I have bot XP/Win7, and use UT Video on both system, but i'm not home here, so i don't remember exactly the last version avaible for XP.

Seems realy more a codec issue. Is your VDub version the last version avaible ?