Nuke 4.1 OFX DaVinci does not render correctly

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
valleo

Nuke 4.1 OFX DaVinci does not render correctly

Post by valleo »

Hello,

I observed this as a bug.

When I apply NV to a clip and build a very good profile (output should be really clean) the image isn't the same in DaVincis viewer.

You can see it clearly in the middle grey area beside the light. In the Preview of Neat Video the frame is very smooth and clean, but in DaVinci there is some grain left.

I have not applied any additional grain to the clip in my timeline.

UPDATE: I also noticed some solarization artifacts in ramps after applying NV.
valleo

Post by valleo »

Another good example can be seen in the following image:

Look at the left end of her hair.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Have you noticed those "N/A" thumbs under the viewer?
Those marks indicate that Resolve has failed to provide the required input frames that are used by Neat Video to conduct noise reduction. That is a known problem of current versions of Resolve itself, it is described in this page. The difference in preview of Neat Video vs Resolve is a direct result of that limitation of Resolve. We have to live with it until BlackMagic developers find time to fix Resolve. We already asked them to address that problem, several times. Unfortunately they haven't yet found time to fix that problem. This issue is Resolve-specific, no other application show it.

Vlad
valleo

Post by valleo »

I saw that, yes. I already posted it on Blackmagics Forum, maybe someone will answer. Very odd that problem!
But is it also a Blackmagic problem when rendering that solarization artifacts to the video?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Regarding solarization artifacts that you are referring to, we will need a test case (a small test project with a smallest possible set of source media and effects) allowing to reproduce the problem on our computers. Once we can reproduce it, we can identify the causes.

Thank you,
Vlad
valleo

Post by valleo »

Where can I send it?

UPDATE: I've made some really small tests using ProRes422HQ and RAW material from my BM4K and realized, that the solarization artifacts came from my M31 LUT applied to the footage after denoising and curve adjustment.
Maybe that's the wrong order...

Wrote to BM forums. Hope that helps :roll:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Generally, the right place to send materials in such situations is support [at] neatvideo.com.

However if you have already identified the cause of the problem and found a solution then it may be no longer necessary to send anything in this particular case.

Thank you,
Vlad