Time to build a new machine - Recommendations welcome

general questions about Neat Video
McAdam

Time to build a new machine - Recommendations welcome

Post by McAdam »

We record events and in general, all video needs to be cleaned up after (even if we have multiple professional 1000w lights going on - thats life with live production 4K cameras)
All our current work is in UHD (3840x2160p25) and we use Adobe Premier (windows compatible) and it takes approximately 48 hours to render a 2 hour clip (noise level of 8 average) with Adobe Media Encoder. (neat video is set to us all CPU cores and GPU)
Our machine was built with another purpose in mind, and I feel that its time to build something dedicated thats engineered for Neat Video Work.

Current Specs:
Intel Xeon E5 1620 v3
32GB Quad Channel DDR4-2600 Memory
Main os on SSD
2 x x Samsung 850 Pro in Raid 0 as working space
Nvidia Quadro K4000 GPU
Asus X99a USB 3.1 Motherboard

There are a few other cards in the system for other purposes and we needed the full 40 PCI Lanes - hence the choice for the Xeon. Also other uses are not processor intensive.

SO

Now I want to build a Dedicated Neat Video Encoder

Currently on my shopping list are:
i7 5960X (8 Cores vs 4, but running at only 3GHz - maybe can overclock) - is there a better choice?
Same SSD config as system before
Same memory as system before (will upgrade to 64GB later) - or go with 64GB from now
GPU - No Idea, maybe dual cards in SLI

So does anyone have any input on processor vs GPU?

Will post test results of the new system once built for anyone else to use as reference.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The candidate CPU (5960X) is certainly fine, however the most important contribution to Neat Video processing speed would usually come from one or more fast GPUs. We recommend to consider the latest models of AMD GPUs such as R9 Fury, Fury X or Pro Duo cards -- these are known to perform very well in Neat Video. NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti and Titan X (2015 and 2016) are also quite good.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
McAdam

Post by McAdam »

Thanks for the input.

Would the card help with actual export rendering times or just for preview playback?

Would 2 cards offer better performance or is it not really used properly?

Also any performance difference between windows 10 and 8?

Will run lots of test and comparisons on both systems and publish findings here - anything else the NVteam might want to try?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Neat Video can use the supported GPU models in both preview and final render.

Two GPUs can be used together to further speed up processing.

Windows version does not matter much.

I recommend to try running Neat Bench on different hardware configurations to see what kind of performance you can get there.

Thank you,
Vlad
McAdam

Post by McAdam »

Ok, So an update is due.
The 1st machine (xeon) needed reformatting after a catastrophic windows update failure - so I only have neatbench results from new machine.

Specs:
i7 5960x
32GB DDR4 Gskill Tridentz @ default XMP (3200mhz)
Asus x99-a II
1000w bequiet PSU
3x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (2 in raid0 as working space - 1 as main os)
1x Saphire Radeon R9 Fury X
Cooling: Corsair H115i (280mm Radiator), 2 bequiet Silent Wings 3 140mm
Windows 8.1 Professional

I have started a Benchmarking Thread to keep things organised and to help other users configure new machines / upgrades

https://www.neatvideo.com/nvforum/viewtopic.php?p=5418
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for updating the forum on your new machine.

We will watch the posts in the new thread.

Vlad