Workflow question: FCPX and NV

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
ikaroo

Workflow question: FCPX and NV

Post by ikaroo »

For my current project I pretty much need to denoise all of my footage. As I use FCPX, it doesn't make sense to apply NV and then edit right away as it rerenders all the time.
So my option is to denoise all of my footage and then export it, blowing it up in size. This process would take a lot of time it seems.

Wouldn't it make more sense to edit with the noisy footage until I have picture lock and then apply NV to the clips I ended up choosing?
How would I then deal with choosing the right denoise sample area as I don't have the entire clip to choose from?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is also possible (and perhaps better) to apply the filter in your main project directly but as soon as you set up each instance of the filter, you can disable it to avoid slowing down further editing in FCPX. Before the final render/export you would have to re-enable each instance of the filter of course.

When building a noise profile for a clip you can always take the whole original clip, place it temporarily into a timeline, find the best frame, build a noise profile using that frame, save that profile to the disk and then re-load it into Neat Video applied to a shorter part of that clip used in your project. That could help if that shorter part didn't have a suitable area for noise analysis.

Vlad