How to create optimal noise profile test frame?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
noizyvideo

How to create optimal noise profile test frame?

Post by noizyvideo »

I want to create a "perfect" noise profile for the camcorder I use by shooting a blank wall or a piece of paper.

What lighting should I use and what exposure should I set? Should I use the dimmest lights and produce a near black clip? A middle grey clip?

Do noise profile changes when lighting condition changes? In other words, can I have one noise profile for one camcorder that would work in all lighting conditions, or should I create a couple of noise profiles at different light levels?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Instead of using a blank wall or a piece of paper (that normally have only one area of one level of brightness) I recommend to shoot the Calibration Target we normally use in Neat Image (several images of the target are available for download in this page).

Regarding shooting parameters for profiles, you may want to use the same parameters for both profiling and actual shooting of your footage to maximize match between noise profile and footage.

Noise does change when shooting/lighting condition changes. It is of course better to build separate profiles for different shooting modes and (when practical) different lighting conditions. However, you can also use the following technique: build a good high-quality noise profile for the most common lighting condition you are going to use and then use this profile together with enabled Adaptive Filtration in NV to process a footage that was shot in varied lighting conditions. NV will automatically adjust the noise profile by adapting it to the varied lighting conditions observed in the footage.

Vlad