Problems capturing the frame for profiling

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
ruusnak

Problems capturing the frame for profiling

Post by ruusnak »

First of all, I'm using PS Elements 4. My problem is that when I want to capture a noise profile, the plugin often says the area is too small. At the bottom of the window the size indicator sometimes reports 64 x 36 (half frame), sometimes 279 x 158, and sometimes even 720 x 288.
I never get the original/desired 720 x 576! The only way to get the last one is to export the frame (as BMP or JPEG), and use that as the source for the noise profile. A minor inconvenience, but nevertheless the plugin should be able capture the frame directly from the video footage (it shoud according to the documentation, but it doesn't).
What am I missing, or is this a bug?
NVTeam

Re: Problems capturing the frame for profiling

Post by NVTeam »

ruusnak wrote:First of all, I'm using PS Elements 4. My problem is that when I want to capture a noise profile, the plugin often says the area is too small. At the bottom of the window the size indicator sometimes reports 64 x 36 (half frame), sometimes 279 x 158, and sometimes even 720 x 288.
Welcome to Premiere, it is Premiere effects and tricks.
To resolve the problem, after you select a frame in Premiere timeline, wait a second or two before opening NV to make Premiere "calm down" and provide NV with a full-size frame that you need for profiling.
ruusnak wrote:I never get the original/desired 720 x 576!
Yes, you get a field from the interlaced video sequence. The field size is 720 x 288, which is a half of the video resolution of the project. This is the property of interlaced video.
ruusnak wrote:A minor inconvenience, but nevertheless the plugin should be able capture the frame directly from the video footage (it shoud according to the documentation, but it doesn't). What am I missing, or is this a bug?
No, it is a feature. There are no frames in that footage, there are individual fields that are half-size. Premiere renders individual fields, it sends individual fields to NV, so NV has to work with individual fields and that is what it shows in its GUI. This is the right way for a plug-in to work with an interlaced clip, because Premiere does that and NV has to correspond to fit into Premiere rendering workflow.

Vlad
ruusnak

Post by ruusnak »

I found out waiting doesn't do the trick, but if I step a frame forward/backward, and then open the plugin, I get the correct half frame.
Another thing... I have Canon HV20 (and noise plugin "home" version), and I also found out that using the non-interlaced shooting mode (1080 25P) and rendering the result to standard DV reduces the noise to half (according to the plugin) compared with the standard DV mode. That leads me to thinking that my workflow could be: shoot 25P -> apply noise filter -> render DV (instead of shoot 1080 -> render DV -> apply noise filter to DV and render it again).
My question: does the professional version support the progressive mode directly (1900x1080)? I think I could get very nice results applying the noise filter on the original footage before reducing the resolution to DV format...
of course the processing time would be longer, but the plugin seems to utilize my quad core quite well!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

ruusnak wrote:I found out waiting doesn't do the trick, but if I step a frame forward/backward
Yes, that is what I meant by "after you select a frame".
ruusnak wrote:My question: does the professional version support the progressive mode directly (1900x1080)?
Yes, the Pro edition can process that large frames just fine. Regarding progressive vs interlaced, both Home and Pro editions can handle both types of footage.
ruusnak wrote:I think I could get very nice results applying the noise filter on the original footage before reducing the resolution to DV format...
of course the processing time would be longer, but the plugin seems to utilize my quad core quite well!
Yes, that is correct, it would be slower but perhaps you can get a better quality. BTW, you can try that workflow using the Home plug-in as well. It will process a part of each frame but that should be enough to evaluate the results. If you like them then you can upgrade your license any time.

Vlad
vera

Post by vera »

This is my first post and if my question has been answered already just direct me to the proper thread and delete this one.
I have NV Pro plug-in and I've been using this filter with avisynth/virtualdub for almost 3 years and it's a beautiful plug-in !! Now,recently my main computer crashed/reformatted and NV plug-in had to be reinstalled but since then I am having a hard time to build a noise profile: I get "signal clipping!", "are not uniform... in channel selection" and" sample to small ,it should be at least 128x128" ( too small to be analyzed is the most frequent message ). Sometimes I go thru the entire video clip to receive over and over the same messages. I've never had this problem before.
Doesn't your guide says "The selection should be at least 32x32 pixels large; the recommended size is 128x128 pixels or more"?
Anyways, what can be done to correct the problem or better what I am doing wrong?

I have another question:

What can be done if a video clip is too busy that you know it won't be easy to build a noise profile but you really want to use NV plug-in LOL?

Thanks in advance
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

First of all, please go to the menu Tools | Options | Profiling and disable "Show warnings..." option there.

Regarding your second question, you can try to build a profile using another clip produced in the same conditions, save to the hard drive and then re-load for your current clip.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
vera

Post by vera »

Thank you very much!
Vera