Video Has Effects after using NeatVideo

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
radar

Video Has Effects after using NeatVideo

Post by radar »

I'm having side effects from using Neat Video on my videos.

I'm using NeatVideo for VirtualDub.

Here is a snapshot of the original video.

Here is a snapshot after using Neat Video. Notice the pattern effect that I highlighted. How do I prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

Tony
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please note that it is better to compare the 'before' vs 'after' versions of the same frame (above, two frames are different) to see the difference caused by the filter itself. It is also important to exclude effects of any other filter or compression codec.

Could you please e-mail me a short sample clip as well as the noise profile and filter preset you used to get this result? Using those materials as well as your instructions, I will reproduce the effect (hopefully) and will check what is going on. If the problem is caused by NV then we will find a solution.

Thank you,
Vlad
ruusnak

Post by ruusnak »

I just purchased NeatVideo, and I noticed exactly the same thing... horizontal banding in some areas
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The samples above show vertical bands, not horizontal.

Could you show an example: the 'before' vs 'after' versions of exactly the same frame?

Thank you,
Vlad
ruusnak

Post by ruusnak »

Sorry, I meant vertical... after experimenting a bit more, I found that a better noise profile helped in removing the banding.
Also, banding was visible when previewing the effect in premiere elements (4), not in the final output.
There are some artifacts in the final video though, in case the original video is very noisy (my test sample was taped in very dim conditions, so noise and grain was very visible).
Especially flat, featureless areas look strange because of the artifacts are "crawling around".
Just like in NeatImage, it seems difficult to get good results if the original is very noisy, the filter tries to preserve too much detail when there's none.
I try to raise the threshold values to see if I can get rid of the artifacts.

Most of the time Neat Video does it's job beautifully, and I'm certainly happy with my purchase!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I have just struggled with a similar issue in a completely unrelated case. The preview shown good results but the final output file shown some banding. Turned out the compression codec was bad. Changed it to another one and the file became as good as preview.

You may also want to check the output codec.

Also, check the video settings in Premiere. The viewer should be set to the highest quality.

Using an accurate noise profile is also very important. If you are not sure it is good, e-mail me a small piece of the clip and your noise profile and I will check if the profile seems right with respect to the clip.

Vlad
radar

Post by radar »

Sorry for not replying sooner. I was attempting to email video segments, but I couldn't figure out how to email video samples that were several meg each.

I also discovered that it was the output codec that was causing the problem.

My source file was a DV capture. I was using VirtualDub with the Panasonic DV codec, and when I saved the output file, I used the same Panasonic DV codec. I switched to the Cedocida DV codec, and haven't noticed the same problem.

Do you recommended a DV codec to use? I know there is a lot of debate on codecs.

I've also been testing with saving my results as Huffy, and importing the Huffy file into my DVD creator, so there is no DV to DV compression loss.

DV > DV > DVD (MPEG2) = loss due to DV and MPEG2 recompression
DV > Huffy > DVD (MPEG2) = less loss from DV to MPEG2 conversion,

But I know there will be times that I will want to save it as DV.

Thanks
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, Huffy will help you preserve the quality before final DVD encoding. It should be faster than other codecs too.

Vlad
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Does huffy support interlaced saving though?