NEAT, Vegas 8, and Pre-render = Out of Memory!

general questions about Neat Video
VanLazarus

NEAT, Vegas 8, and Pre-render = Out of Memory!

Post by VanLazarus »

I love your plug-in, but unfortunately, it seems to not like certain parts of my project. I'm rendering a NTSC MPG stream for use in DVD Architect. When I pre-render, many times I get "NEAT Video plug-in has run out of memory!" message, and usually Vegas dies a quick death afterward or these messages come up FOREVER. It has made your plug-in unusable!

I upgraded to the latest version 2.2 with speed improvements and less crashing, but it still crashes!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Lets try to resolve the problem by working on it together.

First of all, please submit a bug report using this form to let me know details of your computer and software setup. Please make sure you include the exact text of any error message you receive.

Second, it would greatly help me to reproduce and therefore resolve the problem if you could e-mail me a small sample project (similar to those "certain parts of my project") that allows to reproduce this effect. I will run it, reproduce the effect and then it will be clear what is causing it and what can be done.

I understand you use NV for about a year now. Have you observed such issues with previous versions? Have you reported that to NV team?

Thank you,
Vlad
VanLazarus

Post by VanLazarus »

First off, I wanted to say how impressed I was to receive a response from the developer so quickly. Most companies ignore messages from users and we are forced to consult with other users to get our answers.

I found a work around for my problem shortly after posted my question here. First, I converted the MPG source clips in my project into DivX clips (with key frames on every frame). Secondly, I avoided using Vegas's pre-render feature. Instead I rendered segments of my project into DVD Architect NTSC video streams and placed them together into a new project.

Generating MPG pieces like this did not run into any memory problems with the NEAT plugin. I believe the source of the NEAT problem is related to the source clips being MPG files. I haven't had time to confirm this, but will test this soon to confirm and let you know.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for describing a solution you have found. It would still be useful to directly reproduce the effect and find a general solution to make Neat Video more reliable in conditions of memory shortage (probably caused by using specific compression codecs and/or pre-render in Vegas).

Thank you,
Vlad