Camera Orientation?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
nlg64

Camera Orientation?

Post by nlg64 »

Does the orientation of the camera matter for the profile. In other words, if I take a picture of a bull by rotating the camera 90 degrees left, and a picture of a skyscraper by rotating it 90 degrees right, should I filter the images before turning them right-side up, or is there no difference? I am thinking that is the noise-profile is specific to a device, it may also be specific to a location within the image-acquisition device. If I turned the images right-side-up before filtering, the locations will not match up.

Thanks!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, in certain cases, the orientation of the camera can be significant. I recommend to always filter the original, not turned, images straight from the camera. In this way, you will avoid any possible mismatches.

Otherwise, just build a new profile for any image that has been processed in any way. This will also guarantee the perfect match.

Vlad
Last edited by NITeam on Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taob

Post by taob »

Landscape vs portrait orientation likely will make a difference, since it is not uncommon to hear of problems with "horizontal banding" on certain cameras (e.g., the Canon 1D had a lot of those when it first came out). The direction probably does not matter as much (e.g., portrait orientation, but whether "down" is at the top or bottom of the image). Best to apply NI before other adjustments (rotation, saturation, sharpening, etc.) in any case.