Linux version of NI

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
schlupp

Linux version of NI

Post by schlupp »

I would really like to see a Linux version of NI. Unfortunatly I couldn't find any information about that.

Don't think, that linux users would not pay for software. I would like to do so.

And since NI is mostly an algorithmic tool, this should not be impossible, should it?

take care, have fun
/christian
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Christian,

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, it is would be very nice to have a Linux version of NI right now, immediately. However, you probably understand that developing a version of the software for every new platform is not easy in itself. Even if NI may give an impression of an algorithmic tool, the major part of the source codes are things not directly related to image processing (I/O, GUI, etc.). These things should be significantly changed when a port if made.

Also, even if there are Linux people who would pay for the software, lets face the fact that the Linux platform is not the most popular in digital imaging; Windows and Mac go first, then (maybe) Linux. Just facts: people ask us to provide a Mac version of NI 25 times more often that a Linux version. Therefore it is quite logical that a Mac version stands in our development plans much closer that a Linux version. We want to produce all these versions, and we will most likely will do that in the future.

Thank you once again for your suggestion. I believe that one day, it will be implemented.

Vlad
schlupp

Post by schlupp »

Hi,
NITeam wrote: However, you probably understand that developing a version of the software for every new platform is not easy in itself. Even if NI may give an impression of an algorithmic tool, the major part of the source codes are things not directly related to image processing (I/O, GUI, etc.). These things should be significantly changed when a port if made.
Hmm, to be honest, I don't know why you develop diff'rent versions for every platform. How about using smth. like QT as a windowing toolkit, so you could maintain only one version of code. This certainly is cheaper then maintaining 2 or three platforms seperately.
NITeam wrote: Also, even if there are Linux people who would pay for the software, lets face the fact that the Linux platform is not the most popular in digital imaging;
Yeah, the gimp is not a real alternative to Photoshop, if you don't think about the price ;-).
NITeam wrote: Windows and Mac go first, then (maybe) Linux. Just facts: people ask us to provide a Mac version of NI 25 times more often that a Linux version. Therefore it is quite logical that a Mac version stands in our development plans much closer that a Linux version. We want to produce all these versions, and we will most likely will do that in the future.
Yes, I see, that sounds quite bad.

But:
Today I successfully ran NI(demo) using wine under Linux. Hopefully the Home/Pro version runs with wine, too.

So, thank you very much about offering such a great tool!

take care, have fun
/christian
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

schlupp wrote: Hmm, to be honest, I don't know why you develop diff'rent versions for every platform. How about using smth. like QT as a windowing toolkit, so you could maintain only one version of code. This certainly is cheaper then maintaining 2 or three platforms seperately.
You are right and in fact, we are already looking into this direction.
schlupp wrote: Today I successfully ran NI(demo) using wine under Linux. Hopefully the Home/Pro version runs with wine, too.
It should run fine, we heard about this earlier from other Linux users.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

schlupp wrote:Today I successfully ran NI(demo) using wine under Linux. Hopefully the Home/Pro version runs with wine, too.
Reeeeaaaaaaally.... I'll have to try the Pro edition with WINE under FreeBSD tonight when I'm back home. I hate having to reboot into Windows XP to use NI. ;-)
schlupp

Post by schlupp »

@taob:
Please tell me, if the Pro is running... then I gotta spend some money :-)

take care, have fun
/christian
taob

NeatImage under WINE

Post by taob »

Unfortunately, I could not get NeatImage 2.21 Pro edition to run under WINE (20030115 release). :( Version 2.1 demo edition does work though, so I suppose there is some hope there. I'll have to fiddle with this some more.
taob

Post by taob »

It appears that the difference is between version 2.1 and 2.2.1. I could not get the demo version of 2.2.1 to work under WINE either! Perhaps the Pro edition of 2.1 would work under WINE? ABSoft, since I already bought the Pro edition, would you be willing to send me version 2.1 to test under WINE?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, it is possible. Should I send it to your e-mail address?

I believe I know what can cause troubles with the emulator. - New version uses some WINAPI calls that may be unsupported by WINE.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Yeah, winedbg comes up with:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception: illegal instruction in 32-bit code
NeatImage.exe.@@Profileviewerform@Finalize+0x3ba5: xorps %xmm0,%xmm0
Yes, please send to my profile address (the file itself or a URL to download it). Thanks!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It seems WINE doesn't know how to handle SSE commands.

We could force NI to disable use of SSE when necessary.. Are you sure this cannot be solved by updating WINE?

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

I don't know enough about WINE, but I'm pretty sure that they will eventually add support for SSE (and 3DNOW and whatever other extended CPU instructions sets are out there). I am running the latest non-CVS snapshot of WINE (20030115), so SSE instructions aren't support yet.

In the meantime though, NI 2.13 Pro seems to work fine under WINE!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I have found some hints about SSE support in the Internet. People say that it may be a problem of Linux itself (its kernel was not compiled to support SSE, etc.) rather than WINE. Probably all you need is to rebuild the kernel with all the advanced CPU features supported.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Okay, I'll investigate the SSE angle. I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 here, and it should simply be a matter of adding CPU_ENABLE_SSE to the kernel config and rebuilding.
taob

Post by taob »

Oh yeah, baby... that did the trick. ;-) For FreeBSD 4.x users, add the line "options CPU_ENABLE_SSE" to your kernel config file and do a round of buildkernel/installkernel. I don't know how this is done with Linux, but someone else can chime in.

Once the kernel is installed, verify that SSE instructions are enabled:

Code: Select all

% sysctl -a hw.instruction_sse
hw.instruction_sse: 1
You should see a "1" for that variable.