Command line, single instance of NeatImage

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
jstenroos

Command line, single instance of NeatImage

Post by jstenroos »

Hi,

The command line support is nice, but it would be more usable if it didn't start a new instance of NeatImage every time. Instead, it should just add the new file on the end of the queue.

-Jouni
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Well, it does. If you do like this:
>NeatImage.exe image.jpg

Vlad
Last edited by NITeam on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jstenroos

Post by jstenroos »

Good, with 2.21 it works, I had 2.1 installed. But I couldn't get it to work if the queue was already processing, nothing happened when I entered a new file from command line? Is it possible to configure so that the queue don't start processing automatically?

Thanks,
Jouni S.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

You can just stop the queue - there is a button in the Filtration queue box on the right.
jstenroos

Post by jstenroos »

Yes, I'm familiar with that. I guess I just have to open the NeatImage first, stop the queue by hand and then begin to add images to it.

Thanks,
Jouni S.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Can you give me an example of how you are adding an image?

I suspect a bug in NI and want to reproduce your conditions.

Vlad
jstenroos

Post by jstenroos »

I'm doing it from another app's (IMatch) script. Example command line could be:

"C:\Program files\Neat Image 2.2 Pro\NeatImage" "d:\pics\work\edit\crw_1464.tif" "d:\pics\edit\crw_1464_filtered.tif" "d:\pics\work\noise profiles\Canon G2 Linear ISO50.dnp"

So, I give everything from the command line except the filtration profile.
(I plan to add that too)

Jouni S.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think you may run into a trouble with this.

NI does process ALL command line parameters when a single NI instance is used. However, when you start one instance of NI just to send an image to another instance of NI, then it is only the image what is being sent, not other possible command line parameters.

If you want to process a set of images each with specific DNP and NFP then I would advise to compose a batch file with individual commands like the one you have shown above. This batch file will consequetively invoke single instance of NI to process each image with specified profile and preset.

Vlad
jstenroos

Post by jstenroos »

Thanks,

I'll try that.

Sending all parameters would be a nice feature, because the queue window is very informative, telling how much time is left and so on. This batch file method quite effectively breaks it.

How about adding COM-interfaces to NeatImage? :wink:
One simple method AddFileToQueue, with the same parameters as command line.
(Photoshop for example works this way, it can be used from other apps)

Jouni S.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thanks for the suggestion. Of course it would be very good to implement a COM interface as well, but most likely it will not be used by the majority of users.. Photoshop is not a very good example: they support COM while standard old clipboard fuctions do not work (with large images).

Meanwhile, thanks to your input we have found one bug in NI. It is about adding the images to the working queue. We will correct this.

Also, we will look into the issue of handling many parameters. Nobody has asked about this until now but probably it will not be too difficult to add.

Best regards,
Vlad
jstenroos

Post by jstenroos »

Yes, the COM interface would be probably overkill, adding files to the queue can perfectly well be done with command line only.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I hope you get that command line parameter handling to work in upcoming versions. Otherwise, NeatImage has proved to be a real killer!

Jouni S.