Output image details

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Jeff Richardson

Output image details

Post by Jeff Richardson »

I am thrilled with the results I get with Neat Image, but I am still at the early stages of learning how to use the program.

I have recently upgraded from the Demo to the Pro edition. The Pro edition outputs .tif files. Is there a way to tell it to output .jpg's? What type of .jpg compression does Neat Image use when creating .jpg's? Does this compression introduce significant noise?

Also my input files have a Print Size resolution of 180 pixels/inch (as per Photoshop). The output files have a resolution of 72 pixels/inch, with a corresponding increase in Print Size width and height. Does this affect image quality at all?

Thanks,
Jeff
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Jeff, thank you for your comment. I will answer your questions:

Yes, you can save JPGs in the Pro edition, you can select output file type using the Save dialog box.

Neat Image uses standard JPG compression with adjustable quality parameter. You can vary the quality factor when saving the output file. When low quality is used, significant amount of compression artifacts (noise) can be introduced so you have to be careful.

In the Pro edition, the output file's resolution is the same as the input file's resolution. If you experience the opposite (resolution is not preserved), then please report this as a bug: http://www.neatimage.com/brf.html

With respect to the quality, no, changes in the records of physical resolution do not the quality of the image itself.

Hope this helps.

Vlad