Does NI help with hot pixels in long exposures?

general questions about Neat Image
MikePhotog

Does NI help with hot pixels in long exposures?

Post by MikePhotog »

Hi,

I'm very interested in NeatImage.

Does it also help with the little white "hot" pixels (and the big fat blue/red "stuck" pixels), that occur in long exposure shots?

Please see the shots at the following link:

http://www.pbase.com/mikephotog/10d_vs_d60_long

Does NeatImage help clean up the slight long exposure noise? It is very slight, but depending on the subject, it can be very distracting.

Thanks,

Mike
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

No, Neat Image is not designed (yet) to remove hot pixels. This functionality will be added in the future.

It does remove high ISO noise, which may answer your second question, depending on the definition of "slight long exposure noise".

Vlad
Alceu

Post by Alceu »

Pardon me if I´m too obvious, but I use an old trick to get rid of those anoyoing hot pixels...
Take a black shot (lens covered, same exposure time) after the original. You´ll get a black pic with only the hot pixels. Use this black pic in Photoshop to subtract/change color of the hot pixels... Worked well with a Sony 707 and a night sky.
Hope it helps!
Mikhail

Re: Does NI help with hot pixels in long exposures?

Post by Mikhail »

MikePhotog wrote: Does NeatImage help clean up the slight long exposure noise?
Yes, it does. At least there are no problem with Canon S50 and shutter speed up to 15 sec. It absolutely cleaned the slight long exposure noise on night photos.