Profile Dialog

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
Ian Christie

Profile Dialog

Post by Ian Christie »

I was pretty excited when I saw that the latest version of NI had a new, popup for profiles and presets. I assumed, though. that the new feature was going to be something other than what it turned out to be.

My problem is that I have trouble with the file-name limitations when saving profiles (and finding them.) I want to be able to select a profile based on a fractional shutter speed. I find it really awkward converting milliseconds to fractions everytime I want to open a profile.

Can't we have a dialog that displays the real profile parameters of all the profiles within a directory? Sort of like -

Code: Select all

Name               |      ISO      |   Exp. Time  |
-----------------------------------------------------
MD7i-iso100-m1.dnp       100             1/1000
MD7i-iso100-m2.dnp       100             1/500
MD7i-iso100-m4.dnp       100             1/250
etc.
thanks,
Ian.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Why didn't you propose such a dialog earlier? :-)

Ok, the problem is how to store and retrieve profiles in a convenient way. A possible solution is to structure your set of profiles according to several parameters of the device mode and embody this scructure in the structure of folders with profiles. For example, take a look at the profiles for Olympus C-5050Z ( http://www.neatimage.net/profiles/Olympus_C5050Z.zip ). They are structured according to the file type, compression, image size, and finally, ISO rate. When you take these profiles into the profiles folder of NI, you immediately can select any of these profiles from the popup menu. Selecting necessary profile is easy because they are suitably structured.

Another issue is that fractional shutter speed. Yes, you have to encode it in the profile's file name in some way, this is a limitation of Windows file system. You are right, we could implement a dialog with a table like you suggest, which would present profiles in a more friendly way. We will consider this.