RGB Mode...........

questions about practical use of Neat Image
BickfordNYC

RGB Mode...........

Post by BickfordNYC »

..... I have recently switched to RGB mode in my NI Home options and am seeing some results I feel are more like the PhotoShop settings, my printer settings and my monitor view which I use to print from.
What are the drawbacks, caveats, etc, of this practice?
I notice the preview function within the filtering module acts differently, and I sometimes get filtering offered in RGB zones, but sometimes get the YCM mode filters instead, what gives?
Hi Vlad, thanks in advance for your help
B_NYC
~only the dead have seen the end of war~
plato
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

First some citation of the user guide:

"We recommend to use the YCrCb JPEG or YCrCb Symmetric color space to analyze and process images. The RGB color space is not the best for discerning image details that are masked by noise. Using this color space most likely will not produce the best results.

Normally, you should use the YCrCb JPEG (default) working color space for color photographic images or the YCrCb Symmetric color space for grayscale (halftone) images. The RGB color space may also be useful for specific applications. For example, if your intention is to filter only one specific color channel (R, G or B) of the image then you need to use this space."

Basically, our advice is to use YCrCb instead of RGB (even if the latter looks more familiar) to get higher filtration quality.

The second question is not clear to me - I have troubles trying to unambiguosly link "filtering module", "RGB zones", "YCM mode filters" to the user interface elements of Neat Image.

Vlad
BickfordNYC

Post by BickfordNYC »

Silly me, I was ambiguous and not clear, but you nonetheless answered my questions. Recalling and using accurate technical terms is hard for me.

B_NYC
~only the dead have seen the end of war~
plato