JPEG compression

general questions about Neat Image
simonA

JPEG compression

Post by simonA »

Is there a way of changing the amount of Jpeg compression when you save the image. Files go in at around 3mb (compressed from 18mb) from my digital camera and come out at under 1mb so I presume there is a fair amount of compression applied.
Simon

Jpeg compression

Post by Simon »

I found my own answer. The full version includes a slider to adjust the compression.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, full version has a slider.

Also, the Demo applies relatively high quality compression (91), so the file size reduction is mostly because of the noise reduction.

Vlad
Rick Bruce

Post by Rick Bruce »

Im going to semi hijack this thread sorry :)

In the NI Pro version which I use the slider is great for setting better quality but would it be possible to include a "preview" box underneath the slider the same way as photoshop does to show you what size the output file will be.

I find that I will save at 80% then check the file size with Explorer, then up it slightly and check again etc etc.

Possibly even a preview window that shows what the compressed JPG will look too (as photoshop does on the main window when preview is enabled) ?

Thanks,

Rikki
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, this has been already suggested a few days ago and we added this feature in our to-do list. Thank you for reminding that it is needed by one more person.

Vlad
Andre

Post by Andre »

I too noticed a significant amount of jpeg artifacts, but on small images only (640X480). Large images save great (I am using just the trial version). As an experiment, I tried saving a file with no noise reduction applied, just to see the difference in jpeg compression, and the difference is significant. Also, the file size went from 156K to 102K. I did read that the default quality is 91, but if I save the same image in Photoshop with a quality of 10 out of 12, I get a clean picture with the same file size retained 156k. Are you sure it saves small images at the same quality of 91? I understand that the Home version allows you to increase the quality, which is what I will be using in the future, but I thought I would let you know guys know.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, it is for sure that 91 is applied in all cases in Demo. Besides, 91 is from the standard JPEG quality scale of 1-100, while PS has 1-12, which is not standard and may not proportionally correspond to 1-100 scale.