Installation Options

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
lord.hypnos

Installation Options

Post by lord.hypnos »

I would like the default install directory to be \Prog Files\Neat Image Home/Pro instead of \Prog Files\Neat Image <Version No.> Home/Pro. I would also like the option to choose the name of the program group that is created in the start menu. This would make upgrading a lot easier.

And if upgrading, auto-detection of the previous install directory would also streamline the upgrade process.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Overwriting old installation is generally less safe. That is why the default includes the version number. You still can overwrite however - just change the default install directory during installation.

I use several versions and editions of Neat Image in my computer and I find it quite easy to install a new one in a new (default) directory and remove an old one by uninstalling it using the Uninstall shortcut. These two processes are completely independent because different folders are used for different installations and there is no risk of losing important files due to wrong order of install/uninstall.

Having the version number and edition name in the Start menu helps as well. Still you can change the program group name in a couple of clicks - just use the Windows Explorer standard capabilities after the program is installed.
lord.hypnos

Post by lord.hypnos »

Well, how about a compromise? I always use the custom install option since I almost never install anything to the default location. This applies to Start Menu items as well. Could you at least add the option to change the location of the start menu program group? This would prevent me from having to change the location manually.
fefifo

not a prioity for me

Post by fefifo »

It doesn't seem like changing the program to save a few mouse clicks per year is worthwhile. Just my opinion. :)
lord.hypnos

Re: not a prioity for me

Post by lord.hypnos »

fefifo wrote:It doesn't seem like changing the program to save a few mouse clicks per year is worthwhile. Just my opinion. :)
If you manually move the program after install, the uninstaller isn't smart enough to remove the program group. Plus, it's not like the program itself is being changed -- only the installer. Almost every other program gives you the option to choose the installation directory AND the program group, so it's not like this is an absurd request. Anal, yes, but not absurd. :wink:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Our current installation maker software doesn't have possibility for this kind of change to be done during installation. We would have to replace the tool we use to provide this possibility. Such kind of thing are always done slowly as you can imagine.

Besides, I always use custom install with all other software products as well and move shortcuts in the Start menu after installation. Then I have to manually remove them if the software is uninstalled. No big deal, just a few clicks.

Vlad