Black&White Negatives

questions about practical use of Neat Image
ah100m

Black&White Negatives

Post by ah100m »

Is there a preference when to use IN on scanned B&W negatives? I usually scan (Canon 4000 ppi film scanner) in positive RGB 14 bits per channel mode or 16 bit grayscale mode, also positive. Should I invert in PS before running NI or leave it as a negative?

I assume if I want to build film profiles I would need to save them as film/developer combinations. Like Tri-X in D-76, APX 25 in Microdol, right?
Bill Schmidt
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There is no special preference for negatives (we will think about this option). Regarding processing negatives, I would invert the negative first because it will be easier for you to distinguish noise when building profiles. You may use the "negative" button in NI, but this is not the same type of transformation as the standard negative of an image editor. On the other hand, you can process negatives directly - Neat Image filter can process them.

Regarding film profiling, yes, you are right - you need to specify both film and developer as in general case, these can affect the noise properties of final images.

Hope this helps.

Vlad