Hot pixel repair

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
ugfrog

Hot pixel repair

Post by ugfrog »

I know you're working on a hot pixel fix for an upcoming version, and maybe you've already planned to incorporate something like this - but if not, you might want to entertain this thought.
Trying to program the recognition of hot pixels would be easier if a black-shot were provided as an input "map" (a shot taken in complete darkness). Hot pixels could be easily mapped from such a shot, and their locations used to guide the program to the same positions in real photos. Then, going out radially from each location several pixels in all directions, an average could be taken to get close to the value of the replacement color. Using such a map would allow the user to enter different "maps" based on different shutter speeds. My G1, for instance, exhibits hot pixels in most shots, but only some of the hot pixels show up in faster shots, say faster than 1/640 or 1/800.
I'm eagerly awaiting a hot-pixel fixer. I don't want to send my camera in for repairs - too many horror stories, and no guarantees that the fix would be permanent. Software would work even for yet-to-appear hot-pixels.
ugfrog
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, you are describing the general principle of hot pixel removal based on dark shot - traditional method of hot pixel removal. We are aware of this method and will be using it as soon as some upper-in-the-list features are implemented, such as plugin version of the filter.