Compressed TIFF support (at least for input)

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
mccarty

Compressed TIFF support (at least for input)

Post by mccarty »

The use of LZW compressed TIFFs is almost essential to keep file sizes down while processing a workflow. Because NI doesn't handle this, I have to introduce two additional steps into my workflow - one to uncompress before NI and another to compress after NI. The addition of LZW would be very beneficial to those who use NI for more than the occasional image. Though licensing issues may get in the way, perhaps there are some things which could be done...

One option would be to at least allow input of LZW compressed TIFFs. I don't think there would be any licensing issue with decode. (This would remove one step from my workflow.)

For LZW encoding, perhaps this could be offered as a Pro version feature, and the price adjusted accordingly (I don't think the licensing fee would necessarily be all that much).

In any case, the lack of LZW support has not deterred me from using NI. It is one heck of a product which really works as claimed. I have used nearly every grain reduction strategy/product, and NI is the only one which generates consistently excellent results.

Cheers!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We will have a plugin version of the filter, which eliminates the need to open and save files. This may help.

Regarding LZW, yes, there are patent issues, even if we just read LZW TIFFs. Good news is that the related patent is going to expire this summer, as it seems. That will give us more freedom of implementation.

Thank you for the suggestion and your kind comments about NI.

Vlad