Automatic profile selection based on EXIF ISO setting

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
rzurga

Automatic profile selection based on EXIF ISO setting

Post by rzurga »

It would be nice if Neat Image would be able to pick a profile from a list based on the EXIF data on ISO setting from the picture. The way I work now is to use Exifer program to rename the pictures so they have the ISO setting in their name, then I use set the default profile in the Neat Image and then drag & drop all pictures with the corresponding ISO setting onto Neat Image to create a batch. Then change the default profile for another ISO setting and drag & drop pictures with that setting to add to the currently processed batch and so on. In the end I filter out the ISO setting from the output files. It would be terribly nice if this all could be done in one step having Neat Image select the proper profile based on the EXIF data so I could just drag & drop all the pics onto it.

Thanks, Robert
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for reiterating this idea of automatic profile selection. Yes, we remember about this and will introduce this feature in one of the future updates.

Thank you,
Vlad
rzurga

Post by rzurga »

That's great! Just remember that not all cameras place ISO information in EXIF info in the same way.

While doing it you might also add an option to add EXIF comment where user might define it or NI might put what it did with the picture, i.e. profile and preset used and when it happened.

Another nice option would be to optionally preserve the timestamp in the output file from the original one. I prefer to have the very original timestamp of when the picture has been taken. The way I do it now is to redate the files either with Exifer or BreezeBrowser after running NI.

Regards, Robert
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for additional remarks. Yes, adding comments to the processed file can be useful.

I am not sure it would be wise to compete with specialized EXIF reading / file renaming programs, but we will consider this aspect.

Thank you,
Vlad
rzurga

Post by rzurga »

It wouldn't be a competition with the specialized EXIF programs like Exifer. It would just optionally leave a trail of waht happened to the picture in the workflow, i.e. record the filtering and the preset and noise profile files used. Done only if specifically enabled. I'd like to have this data in the processed pics. The way it is now I do it with Exifer, but not exactly which files have been used. That is because while the batch is being processed I take a peek at the processed files and if there still is considerable noise in them then I change the params and re-queue the file. This way each file could have been processed with different params and this is then nowhere noted. It would be nice to have this data.

Regards, Robert
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I completely agree with your point about adding comments. My previous remark related to reading of EXIF data, which is something pretty well done by specialized programs. As you noted earlier "not all cameras place ISO information in EXIF info in the same way", which makes EXIF reading a task in itself. That is why it may be easier just to use specialized programs to read these data fields.
And again, adding comments to files is not the same as reading and making sense of the EXIF data.

Kind regards,
Vlad