Using an IT8 refelective target

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
Quentin

Using an IT8 refelective target

Post by Quentin »

Would a shot of an IT8 reflective target build a good profile?

I have just tried this, and it seems to work, using a grey block for the main rough profile, then either auto fine tuning, or selecting a variety of colour patches for this purpose. In theory, I'd have thought this should be more accurate (as there are RG & B patches and all colours in between)

Quentin
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, you can use IT8 to build profiles. Just make sure you select large enough areas for analysis.

Regarding using separate colors vs. using just gray patches (like in the calibration target from NI webpage), there is no big difference as long as all sliders of the equalizer receive some measured values.

Vlad
andewid

Post by andewid »

Of course in theory all colours are in the grey. Howevery the internals of a digital camera can make it not so..

For example the cameras firmware can reduce noise in one channel (for example red) based on the surrounding blue and green pixels.. But when shooting a completely Red area that is less the case and so you get more noise in the red channel. =)

But NI is very great. I juts bought myself a copy of the Pro+ version and am very happy with it.