Home versus Pro Version

general questions about Neat Image
Voxmagna

Home versus Pro Version

Post by Voxmagna »

Hi, Picking up on an earlier post 8Bit versus 16Bit in the old Forum. Does this mean since the Pro version only has 16Bit TIFF support that it will always process slower than the cheaper Home or demo software options? I'm getting 7-10 minutes on the PRO version for a 17Mb 6Mpixel TIFF.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Pro? Which version number do you use?
Voxmagna

Post by Voxmagna »

Version 2.5 PRO downloaded last night!

VOX
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Then there should be no difference in speed between Home and Pro.
Voxmagna

Post by Voxmagna »

Thanks, the reason I'm asking the question ( my earlier post didn't save for some reason) is that on an Athlon 1.2Ghz machine 520Mb RAM I'm getting a filter processing time of 7-8 Minutes for a 17Mb TIFF (6 Mpix) file.

Camera file sizes will keep increasing, so that doesn't look good for the future of NI, and my machine isn't low spec. Unless you can suggest what i can do to improve the rendering time.

The frustration is that initially you need to experiment with settings and 7-8 minutes per test is too long. Now if NI could show an enlarged sub section of the image and more immediate response to changing the filter/noise settings that would help.

At the moment I'm cutting and pasting small sections of a 17Mb TIFF to find the right settings, save as a profile, then run the profile with the normal input file.

I'm just a Newbie on day2. Is this what you guys have to do to get reasonable workflow times - or is NI really intended for work on 1Mpix images?

I'd pity anybody with a P90 and 128Mb RAM!

Thanks VOX
Voxmagna

Post by Voxmagna »

OK I've located my other post - sorry humble pie and you've explained about the preview mode!

Still Can't understand why my Athlon is so slow. Im using Win98SE - is that bad for NI? I'll try win 2K see if that will help.

One further question, is the rendering for both Noise and sharpness done in a single pass so the rendering time is roughly the same - or is there a relationship beteeen rendering time and the options selected.?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Sharpening turned on will NOT significanly increase processing time.

On P4 1.4GHz, a 6 MPix image is processed in 2.5 min. On Athlon 1.2GHz it should be comparable I believe. Try increasing filter priority in Options.

Win98 or Win2k shouldn't make difference.

Vlad