filtering time for selection in Plug In

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Bryan Stone

filtering time for selection in Plug In

Post by Bryan Stone »

In PS 7, I filtered a whole image which was 2560x1920 pixels, which is 4.9 mp.

Then I reversed this and made a selection which would fit into a crop of 700x1216 pixels, or 0.8mp, (I did not crop), but it was an irregular shape so I guess it would be about 600,000 pixels - about 1/8th of the area of the image.

Using PS7's timer function, NI 2.6 filtered the whole image in 180 secs, but to filter only the small selection it took 166 seconds.

Why is the time so out of proportion?

Thank you for all the continued improvements, especially the plug in. Best wishes.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This is normal. The form of the selection does matter and in case of irregular selections it is perfectly normal that processing time is close to the processing time of complete image. This is a feature of the method.

Did you check the processing time with regular selections?

Vlad
Bryan Stone

Plug in time for selections

Post by Bryan Stone »

Vlad
I played with this a bit more. In the first note I sent today, I omitted to say that I had made the selection into a new layer. Then I filtered the whole of the new layer, which was the same size as the original image, although 7/8ths of the area was empty and transparent.

If I select the transparent area and then intervt the selection to get just the irregular opaque are, then it filtered in 38 seconds.

So the problem is that NI does not have the ability to ignore empty pixels and just work on the the opaque ones.

I also get similar fast results if I just make the selection without making it into a new layer. So NI is able to ignore unselected areas, but not empty areas.

Bryan
NITeam

Re: Plug in time for selections

Post by NITeam »

Bryan Stone wrote: So the problem is that NI does not have the ability to ignore empty pixels and just work on the the opaque ones.
Yes, it seems you are right about that. We will look into the code details.

Thank you,
Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We have added the ability of skipping transparent areas. This will become available in the next update.

Vlad