Installshield

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
goldragon

Installshield

Post by goldragon »

Hi don't you think it would be much better to use installshield for product upgrade so when you distribute the product you can upgrade automatically without having to uninstall the previous version of neatimage which will come very handy in the future. I am an Installshield Professional 7 user so I recommend to use that installshield.. which is easier when you release a new version, Users do not need to uninstall the previous version cos it will be done automatically from installshield.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Good idea, but (1) what if someone wants to have two (or more) versions at the same time and (2) how much will this increase the size of the installer?

Anyway, thank you for the recommendation. We will take a look.

Vlad
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

hmm.. but I never know someone who wants to have two version at the same time.. if I ask someone which one do you prefer to have, the lastest version which have all the bugs fixed and more improvement or the previous version which still have some more bugs?
if they still have want to install the previous version they can just uninstall the newer one and install the previous one. the thing that helps user to determine which version is the new one, you can also name the setup file into something like neatSetup_v_2_3 or NeatSetup_v_2_61.. just something like that cos to reduce confusion :P
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Sometimes people do want two versions at the same time. We discussed this with several of our users by e-mail. They wanted two versions for various reasons.

Also, please take a look:
http://www.neatimage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263

Regarding the file naming, thank you for the suggestion. We will consider this.

Vlad
fefifo

Post by fefifo »

I use two versions of the same program in certain circumstances, and not just NeatImage. Usually it is for a short period of time, say 1 month or less.