Size of output file is larger?!

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Izzy

Size of output file is larger?!

Post by Izzy »

When I first bought the Pro version, about 4-5 months ago, and I applied a reasonable amount of noise reduction, (usually 40-50%), the resulting output file was usually about one half the size of the original file.

This made a lot of sense, since NI had removed a lot of "detail" (which was really noise) that was taking up space.

In the latest version (and maybe the one before that) I am noticing that the output file, on the average, is TWICE as big, rather than one half. Now, I'm no expert, and would not characterize myself even as knowledgeable. However, I am doing the same things when I process as I did before.

Why is the file size bigger these days?

Thanks.
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

hehe I also have the same problems I dunno why.. but I thought it is only a problem in my side.. didn't know other people also have the same problem as mine :roll: . :shock:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

What about output file format used? There are three of them, which one is used???

Vlad

P.S. This thread may be related to your questions: http://www.neatimage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210#210
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

Output jpeg type format but theoutput file size is 2 times than normal size dunno why??? :shock: :shock: :?:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

What compression quality is used? :-)

Vlad
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

Compression quality??? where to find? I normally use the max one hehe
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Why max, don't you know that max produces large images? :-)

The whole point of JPEG is to balance size (compression) vs quality. If you really need highest quality then I advise to use TIFF format, which is lossless.

BTW, the JPEG file size is larger because for the quality levels higher than 84, no color subsampling is used. While for all lower quality levels the 4:1:1 (standard) subsampling is used. No color subsampling preserves more color details but produces larger files.

This feature has been introduced (and documented, see the WhatsNew.txt file) in v2.3 of Neat Image after several user requests: http://www.neatimage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210#210

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Best regards,
Vlad
goldragon

Post by goldragon »

OOoh.. thanks for the info.. didn't know that hehe.. k I'll use tiff