Building Noise-Profiles - general question

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
Rilo1

Building Noise-Profiles - general question

Post by Rilo1 »

As I understand, digital camera noise depends in first case on the CCD- (or CMOS) Sensor of the camera. Second parameter is the ISO-Number (that is the same even in analog photography).
Wouldn't it be correct to say that the profile could be made for each sensor-type (so one profile could be used for many cameras that use this Image-Sensor) ? Of cause camera built-in modifications (sharpening, ISO-handling, compression should be taken into account when building profiles for that image-sensosr.

Is there any information out there regarding the CCD-Sensors of the digital cameras in the market ?

Another question:

What size should the profile-test-image be for proper results ?
Is there any dependency of noise-profile to close-up features of camera ?

Thank you very much !

Rilo,
Germany

P.S. I like this tool and the homepage and community - very well done !
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, you are right, the sensor properties are the most important and sensor type is the most important profiling parameter. Then goes ISO, and other shooting parameters, just as explained in the user guide.

Regarding CCD sensors of the digital cameras, I believe you can easily find some technical documents about these sensors for example at Sony electronic component webpages (sorry, I don't have direct links at the moment).

For profiling, the size in pixels (if you are asking about pixels) of the whole image is not important. What is important is to use large enough (100x100 pixels) noise sample.

Digital zoom does change the noise properties, optical zoom does not.

Hope this helps.
Vlad