linux ;-p

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
ptah

linux ;-p

Post by ptah »

hey, do you at least thought about that :) ?
it would be heaven to have this tool on my mandrake machine ;)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, we did. Linux is less popular than Mac among the image processing people so we decided to go for Mac first. On the other hand, you can run Neat Image on Linux right now, in Wine.

Vlad
crusius

Post by crusius »

Actually, it is not that simple. I'm a registered user of NeatImage Pro+ and I can't use versions 3.0 and up because Wine on my Gentoo box will choke on it.

Being a software engineer who has done nasty ports before, I don't quite understand the arguments I've seen in this forum about NeatImage being difficult to port. I agree with one previous poster that rewriting it in Qt would solve the problem, and I also understand these things take time. What I don't quite understand is the amount of time... It should take one full-time developer less than a month to get NeatImage running in Qt. The really nasty stuff is when there is C/C++ code accessing the network and things like that, and NeatImage doesn't have it.

I am a registered user of VueScan also, and NeatImage is *currently* what I use, version 2.6, under Wine, to remove image noise. If a native version of any decent noise remover pops up (there are a couple more), they'll have my money.

Anyway, where I'm getting at is that the port effort can't be that big unless there's something wrong with the software architecture. Been there, done that. In less than a month one could get NeatImage running on every platform Qt runs in. I'd really like NeatImage to get there soon, before some other program (Noise Ninja for example) does and sucks my money in...

Cheers,

- Cesar
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Cesar,

Thank you for your comments.

The v3.0 should run in Wine just as fine as v2.6 does, we didn't do anything to reduce compatibility. I would appreciate more details on what Wine says on your box.

Regarding porting efforts, there are some hidden dangers with Qt. It is not that simple when it comes to Mac. So far we consider Qt less then optimal solution for our porting efforts because of technical problems in Qt. If you developed Photoshop plug-ins for Mac, you could probably give us an advise. You are welcome to write to info@neatimage.com

In any case, thank you for stating your position.

Vlad
crusius

Post by crusius »

Thanks for the reply.

The Wine problem is related to a 'ThemeManager' of some sort (don't have the computer close by, but I somewhat remember the message). The dialog box error has one line in it, and 'ThemeManager' is the problem.

Regarding the Mac port: if Qt is a problem in there, then you may have a point. I never developed Photoshop plug-ins, so I can't comment. If Qt doesn't work, I'd suggest looking at VueScan for suggestions. I don't know what Ed Hamrick uses, but his program works on the three platforms: Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

Cheers,

- Cesar
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the reply, Cesar. We will look into the ThemeManager issue. Probably we have to provide a way to switch off the XP themes support in NI.

Also thank for pointing the VieScan. We will take a close look.

Thank you,
Vlad
ddeleris

Post by ddeleris »

Being also a registered user of Vuescan, that would be fantastic to get also NeatImage to run natively under Linux :lol:

I have the same problem with wine and NeatImage 3.0:
Error reading ThemeManager1->Options:
Access violation at address 424C6C11 in module 'uxtheme.dll'

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dominique
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please check this message for a solution.

Vlad
ddeleris

Post by ddeleris »

OK, it runs as expected.

However, I have some small issues about fonts, see the following screen captures:
Screen 1
Screen 2

You can see that some fonts are "too big" to properly get displayed, is there a known way to solve this?

Thanks in advance,

Dominique