CoolPix 995 Profile question

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
csweet

CoolPix 995 Profile question

Post by csweet »

Having just started to use the program I have a question about profiles.
I dowloaded the CP995 profiles from your web site along with the program. They seem to produce fine results.

Just for fun I DL'ed the test target and tried makeing a profile for that same camera myself. I think that I followed the steps correctly.

Viewed the target with ACDSee in fullscreen.
Took out of focus shots at my standard camera settings.
Brought the image into NI.
Ran RA on as large a chunk of the center chip as I could select.
Did auto fine tune on 4-5 of the other smaller chips.
While doing this payed attention to the low, med, high indicator.

This also produces good results. My question is that the EQ has VERY different settings when the two profiles are compared to one another. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? All the sliders are green except the last one which is yellow on all three channels. On the canned profile more of them are yellow. The fourm does not let me post images or I could crop out screenshots of the two EQ's to try and make this as clear as I can.

Being brand new to this I am assuming the profiles you have on your site are better than mine and I'm missing something. Any hints would be appreaciated.

PS - Great product. I can see this is going to go a long way to making my images look less "digital".

Chris
NITeam

Re: CoolPix 995 Profile question

Post by NITeam »

csweet wrote:Just for fun I DL'ed the test target and tried makeing a profile for that same camera myself. I think that I followed the steps correctly.

Viewed the target with ACDSee in fullscreen.
Took out of focus shots at my standard camera settings.
Brought the image into NI.
Ran RA on as large a chunk of the center chip as I could select.
Did auto fine tune on 4-5 of the other smaller chips.
While doing this payed attention to the low, med, high indicator.
Yes, this is correct procedure except that you don't need to select any area to do auto fine-tuning - it does find everything on its own.
Selecting several areas is only necessary for manual fine-tuning. But in principle you received the same results, this just took a bit longer than necessary - repeating auto fine-tuning doesn't add any new information to the analysis.
This also produces good results. My question is that the EQ has VERY different settings when the two profiles are compared to one another. Is this normal?
In principle there is nothing strange if two cameras used in different conditions by two different people produce somewhat different noise pattern. This is normal. That's why we always recommend to use the profiles built by others only as a starting point to learn NI and then build your own profiles as this potentially provides higher filtration quality in your workflow.
All the sliders are green except the last one which is yellow on all three channels. On the canned profile more of them are yellow. The fourm does not let me post images or I could crop out screenshots of the two EQ's to try and make this as clear as I can.
Your comments are clear, no problem. Yes, the more green you have the better ( see the bottom of http://www.neatimage.com/ug/Preparing_a_profile.htm ).
Being brand new to this I am assuming the profiles you have on your site are better than mine and I'm missing something.
No, as explained above, your own profiles usually are always better (if built correctly).
PS - Great product. I can see this is going to go a long way to making my images look less "digital".
Thanks a lot! :)

Vlad
csweet

Post by csweet »

Thanks for the reply.

I went back and re-did the whole thing using the manual fine tune button this time. I got different results this time that match neither the canned profile or the one I made before. This time I did get it to go green on all sliders on all colours. I'll run it on some images and see how it works out.

Chris