RAW file formats and image proccesing of them

questions about practical use of Neat Image
jafent

RAW file formats and image proccesing of them

Post by jafent »

I moved up from a Minolta Dimage S404 to an A1 a while back. This also ment changing over from JPEG to RAW format, which is why I made the move, along with more control. I immediately shot the test target at all the ISO settings and created custom profiles.

I was having a lot of troubles getting the same quality of noise reduction I was used to. Until, by chance, I discovered that if I just converted the image into PS, without adjusting exposure, etc. then NeatImage was able to do a lot better job. So basically, now, I import the images into PS without making any adjustments. Now, I can actually use the Auto Profile selections that I was very vocal about.

Now this made a lot of sense to me. If you adjust exposure, color, etc. You've changed the noise profile of the pic. My question is, what adjustments in a RAW filter can be made (if any) and still not effect NeatImage Pro+?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We discussed this issue in another thread recently. I think the answer depends on RAW convertor and the best way to answer the question is to understand the nature of transformation every convertor adjustment makes to the image.

Vlad