Original Time and hour

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
riccardo.menichelli

Original Time and hour

Post by riccardo.menichelli »

Hello,
I'm a a newbie of neat image, now I'm using the demo version, and i really like it.
I've just a questio/suggestion:

The firtered image is called smthing_filetered.jpg and this is good feature but is it possible to maintan the original date and time of the file?

Thank you in advance,
Riccardo Menichelli
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The NNNNN_filtered.jpg is a new file created by Neat Image. As any other software tool, Neat Image creates a new file using the operating system facilities that automatically assign the time and date of creation to the new file. We would have to fool the system to change this standard and reasonable behaviour. Would this be useful and why?

Thank you,
Vlad
riccardo.menichelli

I know that NNNNN_filtered.jpg is a new file, and I know also that the operating system automatically assigns time and date of creation to anew file. ( I'm newbie not stupid :wink: ), but they can be changed manually

Speaking seriously I do not know if a feature like this one would be useful for a professional user, but I will try to explain why it would be useful for me.

I make a lot of photo during different occasion and I obviously organize them using a folder tree (dividing foto by year , month and day).

Being each photo for me just a pleasant souvenir the original data and time is a very important information reseeing the photo after some years; on the contrary after some years it is totally unuseful to know data and time when I reduced noise.

Original date and Time are also useful in order to maintian the correct chronological order collecting foto maden by different cameras (having then different numeration).

I think that maintaing the original time and date, eventually optionally, it isn't so unreasonable: do not we make the same rotating JPEG the images (eg:...irfanview)? Why should noise cleaning be different?

Excuse for my hesitant English and thank you for your quickness and willingness, but above all for having created this powerful program :D

Riccardo
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Riccardo,

Thank you for your reply.
Being each photo for me just a pleasant souvenir the original data and time is a very important information reseeing the photo after some years; on the contrary after some years it is totally unuseful to know data and time when I reduced noise.
Yes, I understand. But do you keep the originals in the first place?
I think that maintaing the original time and date, eventually optionally, it isn't so unreasonable: do not we make the same rotating JPEG the images (eg:...irfanview)? Why should noise cleaning be different?
Probably because when doing rotation, you still have the same single file while with Neat Image you receive another, second, new file. Neat Image simply behaves just like any other application when creating a new file. I understand that it may be possible to force the creation date to be that of the original image but I am not sure this kind of trick is compliant with recommendations of the operating system manufacturer.

Also, I am sure you are aware of the fact that the date and time an image was taken is kept inside the image itself in the EXIF data fields. There are many ways to view this information. There are many software tools to read and use this information. In Windows XP, you can even see these details using just the Windows Explorer. You can even sort your images in a folder according to the date and time they were shot. - This is done by the Windows Explorer on the basis of the EXIF data. AND you can sort image files according to the time they were modified. - This is done on the basis of file attributes.

Another common way to sort images is to use special tools to extract the image creation date and time from the EXIF data and renaming the image files on the basis of this extracted information: DSC04943.JPG can become something like DSC04943_2003-12-31_23.59.JPG

So you see that there are many ways to achieve the desired result without forcing a specific software tool (Neat Image in this case) to behave in a non-standard way.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
riccardo.menichelli

But do you keep the originals in the first place?
After cleaning the noise,even if unadvisable, I overwrite the originals file. practically speaking I'm looking for something like "clean and overwrite (maintaining time and date).
date and time an image was taken is kept inside the image itself in the EXIF data fields
I understand your argumentation but I do not completely agree: rule often exist to be broken if useful. Anyhow I'll try to use EXIF information (maybe renaming files as you've suggested ) but you should agree that is less user-friendly (expecially using less then windows XP).

Regards,
Riccardo Menichelli

PS:I secretly hope that other users will ask for the same feature. :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Riccardo,

I agree that going to the EXIF data to get the date and time of the shooting may be less convenient than using the file attributes but remember that the EXIF data fields (explained in the corresponding standard designed by digital camera manufacturers) were specifically designed for this very purpose - to keep the important information about the shooting. And the file attributes were designed for another purpose by other people (operating system developers). These are two pieces of information that simply serve two different purposes. That's why, in my opinion, the task that you want to solve should be solved by tools that work with the EXIF data. Photo tools should deal with EXIF, OS tools should deal with file attributes.

Nevertheless, I don't exclude the possibility of introducing an option to save the output images with the same date and time as input images. I just think that from the standpoint of the operating system (Windows or whatever) such manipulations with file attributes may be seen not entirely 'legal' and probably even impossible in some cases.

Vlad