Wrong ISO values for Nikon D70 images

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
thierry-l

thank you for your response, and more information

Post by thierry-l »

thank you for your response, i'll send you the extract of exif data (using EXIFread) of a tiff from raw file (built with Nikon Capture), the field "ISO Setting" seems to be correct (this little program find it on each file i have), so i don't see what is wrong with Nikon Capture (what is invalid in these fields)
Of course if you say it, I Believe you but i'll nead some précision to contact Nikon
could you tell me what is wrong in the little file .txt i'll send you (so i'll contact Nikon's Support with this explanation) (offset ?, bad value ?...)

Thank's a lot for your software, the results are very good and it's a pleasure to use.

slts
Thierry
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Unfortunately the problem doesn't completely show up in the EXIF listing.

There is the value:
MakerNote : Nikon D100 Format : 5064Byte (Offset:1278)

The first figure (size of the MakerNote tag) - 5064 - is incorrect. The real size is larger to say nothing about Nikon Capture's non-compliance with the EXIF standard specifications regarding treatment of MakerNote as a binary block.

Vlad
thierry-l

Ok i'll send a mail to Nikon support

Post by thierry-l »

with your informations i'll post a mail to Nikon and i'll tell you as soon as i have a response
however of course if you can find a way to work with this bug (for exemple by seaching "ISO Setting" instead of taking the maker note offset in consideration !) we will be happy !!
i am note sure Nikon will correct this pb as soon as you !

thanks
Thierry
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thierry,

As I wrote above (see the previous page), we have found a way to avoid the problem of corrupted EXIF written by Nikon Capture. Neat Image will be able to read the ISO values from such corrupted EXIF in the next update.

The problem with the corrupted EXIF is not about incorrect MakerNote offset, it is about the incorrect size of MakerNote tag and, more seriously, about ignoring the EXIF standard by Nikon Capture.

Vlad
thierry-l

Ive got a "first response" from Nikon Support

Post by thierry-l »

They told me they had identified the problem which is also true with Photoshop CS (not able to find the ISO Value too)
but of course they dont say anything concerning the delay for this bug to be corrected
I am happy to see that you will correct this (certainly before them !!)
thanks for all of your responses
slts
rogernordin

Nikon is correcting the EXIF ISO issue

Post by rogernordin »

Hi guys,

Looks like Nikon is actually addressing the EXIF ISO issue..! At least, in the latest firmware update for their high-end dSLR D2H this can be found in among the release notes:

"The ISO setting is now recorded in the EXIF ISO tag. Previously, this data was found only in the private MakerNote tag, which meant ISO wasn't displayed unless the application was designed to specifically interpret Nikon's method of placing ISO info in the file. Now, any application capable of peeking inside the standard EXIF ISO tag should be able to display the D2H ISO setting, including Photoshop CS and various image browsing and cataloging programs."

Reference: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten ... -6457-7101

Regards,
/Roger
thierry-l

nothing about the last upgrade for D70

Post by thierry-l »

I didnt find anything about this in the last upgrade of D70 firmware ?
if someone has information thanks a lot
Thierry