Wrong ISO values for Nikon D70 images

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Pmatt

Wrong ISO values for Nikon D70 images

Post by Pmatt »

NeatImage 4.0 is reporting incorrect ISO values for images from my Nikon D70.

Note that Noise Ninja reports them correctly.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Pmatt, please send us an example image.

Thank you,
Pmatt

Just sent in a sample.

Post by Pmatt »

Ok, I just emailed a sample to support@neatimage.com.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you, got it.

In principle, the problem is with Nikon firmware. It doesn't save the ISO rate in the standard location in the EXIF records.

We will see what can be done.

Meanwhile, please use Auto Profiler - it will build a profile directly from input image, without need to do matching agains ready-made profiles (which requires EXIF data, such as the ISO rate).

Thank you,
Vlad
img47

ISO

Post by img47 »

It would be great if you could read the ISO from "Maker Notes" in EXIF. I don't think Nikon will change that soon (it's like this in all Nikon DSLRs, have no idea why...).

Best regards,
Przemek
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is probably intentional, to make you use their software.

When the industry standard image editor - Photoshop - cannot read Nikon's ISO value - it is Nikon's fault. They have to follow the standards.

Vlad
img47

ISO

Post by img47 »

Agree with you.
But the only solution for now is to take ISO from where it is (some third party software can do that - IMatch, NoiseNinja)

Still hope you can do something :)

Thanks,
Przemek
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Przemek,

I hope too but in principle this is a wrong solution.

There is one source of non-standard images (Nikon) and there are MANY tools that have to work with these images. It is very inefficient to go and ask each producer of every tool to support Nikon. It is easier to and quicker to persuade Nikon to fix the firmware. You just have to go and demand Nikon to follow the standard. Otherwise, we will spend the rest of our lives trying to support all the deficient non-standard devices instead of increasing the added value created by noise reduction, sharpening, color correction, raw conversion, etc, etc.

Vlad
img47

ISO

Post by img47 »

Again - completely agree with you. Furthermore, they do this correctly on Coolpix P&S, why not on DSLR? I cannot find any explanation, except yours.

I have sent a question to Nikon support and the answer was basically "No"... Hope others will ask as well and one day we will get what it should be from the very beginning.

Regards,
Przemek

Post by Guest »

You are of course correct, it is totally lame of Nikon to put the ISO in the wrong place.

But the reality of the situation is that people (at least me) will use whatever software is easiest. Right now, that is Noise Ninja, because in its batch mode I can see at a glance the ISO values for all of my D70 images. But I still have to manually select the appropriate profile for each image.

I would much rather use the NeatImage method of automatically assigning the correct profile based on EXIF. But of course until you issue a patch to address Nikon's deficiencies, I will have to stick with Noise Ninja.

As a software developer myself, I sympathize with you. But sometimes you just have to implement a stupid hack -- like a special case case for Nikon DSLR ISO's being in the wrong place -- because of the realities of the marketplace.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Excuse me, I don't see your name,

Yes, you are right too. Stupid hack - this is what we will have to do.

Vlad
Pmatt

Post by Pmatt »

Sorry, that was me (the originator of the thread). I forgot to enter my username.

Can you send me an email when the stupid hack is ready? You should have my address from the image sample I sent you.

Thanks for biting the bullet and cleaning up Nikon's mess!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please register in the forum and join the "Receivers on announcements" usergroup - in this way you will receive announcements of updates in the future.

Thank you,
Vlad
buckwem

Same problem with Canon Powershot Pro1

Post by buckwem »

NeatImage 4.0 does not read the ISO speed for Powershot Pro1 images either. I have also noticed that 4.0 loses the Exposure bias reading that was available in 3.1.

This is the reading from 4.0

Device maker: Canon
Device model: Canon PowerShot Pro1
Compression: 2 bits/pixel
Exposure time: 1/30s

This is the reading from 3.1

Device maker: Canon
Device model: Canon PowerShot Pro1
Compression: 2 bits/pixel
Exposure time: 1/30s
Exposure bias: 0.00 eV

If you want a small (44KB) image I can send it to you.

Mark
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It doesn't lose the bias, it intentionally omits this parameter as unimportant.

Vlad