Wrong ISO values for Nikon D70 images

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
buckwem

Post by buckwem »

As with the Nikon - is there any intention to support the EXIF data coming out of the Pro1 or how can I modify encoding on the profile data as I am trying to create a Pro1 RAW profile?

Thanks, Mark
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Mark,

There is an intention, but there is no guaranty, because neither Nikon nor Canon provide open documentation of their NON-STANDARD data in the EXIF records.

We work on this but, let me repeat, we all have to blame Nikon and Canon for producing non-compliant products. Everything would work long ago if they did their job properly with their camera firmware. Pro1 is one of those cameras where the manufacturer think they are above the standard.

We work on this.

Vlad

P.S. You will still see no ISO if you open such images in Photoshop. - Ask Canon to fix the firmware.
buckwem

Post by buckwem »

Just checked with Photoshop Elements 2.0 and I find the data cannot be read. I have logged a support record with Canon for incompatible EXIF data that cannot be read by Photoshop and NeatImage.

I will keep you updated on what they say.

Mark
buckwem

Post by buckwem »

Here is the reply from Canon:

Please be advised the EXIF information within the image taken with your camera is standard. And will operate with all applications that can recognise such a format. This information also provides compatibility with printers and software applications. You will need to contact your software manufacturer for information on what the program can or cannot process.

Can you provide me with the technical feedback on where the EXIF data is non-standard and I will lodge with Canon technical support.

Mark
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The document is called:
"Standard of Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association, JEITA CP-3451, Exchangeable image file format for digital still cameras: Exif Version 2.2"

The document suggests digital camera manufacturers to record the ISO speed rating value to the Exif IFD (the standardized part of EXIF data fields). The camera in question does not follow the recommendation. It writes another type of value (called "CCD sensitivity") instead on one suggested by the standard (ISO speed rating). Moreover, it writes that value to another location in EXIF data fields (in the non-standardized part).

The above makes most third-party software applications not able to get ISO speed rating value from the EXIF fields of images produced by the camera. In particular, the industry standard image editor - Photoshop - cannot get the ISO speed rating value.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
buckwem

Post by buckwem »

I have submitted the information to Canon. I bet the response will take a while! :wink:
buckwem

Post by buckwem »

It took a while for the response from Canon....

Incident Number 889442

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

If the EXIF information can be viewed in an image's properties within
the supplied Zoombrowser EX program, this will prove that the
information has been correctly written and downloaded to the computer.

We would again refer you to the vendor of the applications where this
cannot be read.

Should you require any future technical assistance, please do not
hesitate to contact us quoting your Incident number.

To contact us via email, click on the following link:

https://self-service.canon-europe.com/u ... gi?LANG=en.

Note: Please do not reply to this email using your 'REPLY' tab.

Kind Regards,

Canon UK
RvD 10989

It seems Zoombrowser EX is the international test tool to confirm EXIF standard compliance. :lol:

I will try make a phone call next but it does not seem as though they want to listen.

Mark
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. I hope Canon will finally listen their customer.

From our side, I expect Neat Image to be able to read that non-standard Canon data in one of the updated versions of Neat Image. We are working on this.

Thank you,
Vlad
Pmatt

Still no D70 ISO Support in 4.1?

Post by Pmatt »

I just downloaded Neat Image Pro 4.1, hoping that it would now correctly read the ISO for Nikon D70 images, but it does not.

Are you still planning on putting in a special case for this? If so, any idea when it will be available?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We are not just planning, we are working on that. Special support for Nikon will be available in one of the next updates and it will be listed in the history of changes.

Thank you,
Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image now supports non-standard EXIF ISO encoding of Ninon and Canon cameras. Please download the latest version.

Note: some device noise profiles may have to be re-built with the new version of Neat Image to include the ISO values in profiles and thus enable automatic profile matching with these profiles. With some cameras, rebuilding profiles will not be necessary.

Vlad
buckwem

Canon Pro1 TIFF still not working

Post by buckwem »

I have just tried to redo my noise profiles. The JPG ISO and speed are picked up correctly but the TIFFs from the RAW files still cannot be read.

Mark
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Could you send me one profile built from a TIFF-from-RAW file?

I suspect the problem is with the RAW converter.

Thank you,
Vlad
thierry-l

I have the same pb with profile from raw file D70

Post by thierry-l »

when i read exif with exifreader, i find the iso value correct but the automatic profile does not (version pro+ 4.2)
i'll try to send you one profile for example
slts from France
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the sample profile.

The analysis shows that Nikon Capture 4.1 produces images with invalid EXIF data records in the part of MakerNotes. That's why Neat Image could not read the ISO value - the EXIF is already corrupted by Nikon Capture.

We have adjusted Neat Image code to make it more tolerant to such invalid images with broken EXIF and this fix will be available in the next software update.

However, our fix will not resolve the problem of Nikon Capture that produces EXIF data not compliant with the EXIF standard. The images processed with Nikon Capture will have corrupted EXIF until Nikon fixes this problem (file a complain to Nikon).

Thank you,
Vlad