Neat Image 4.0 Pro with wine

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Mighty Flea

Neat Image 4.0 Pro with wine

Post by Mighty Flea »

Hello Neat Image people,

I just downloaded the new 4.0 Pro version.
During installation and execution using wine (Newest release, 20040408) I noticed the following problems:

Installation:

- No license agreement visible
- Setup Error message: 'Internal error: Failed to expand "group"
constant.' (14 times)
- Next, empty text window "Information"
- After Finis installation, error message: "HTML Help system is not
- installed in the operating system. Neat Image user guide from the
help system will not be available. Please use other formats of the
user guide available at Neat Image webpage." (I also get this message
every time I start Neat Image.)

Execution:

- Neat Image opens, but the menu bar is not working at all (no
reaction)
- All controls in the main window work normally, on all four tabs. (This, of
course, is not a problem. ;-)

Neat Image 3.17 Pro works well with my setup of wine. Yes, I did uninstall it prior to installing 4.0 ;-)

Can you help me with these problems? After all one of the reasons that I chose Neat Image was that it played nicely with wine.

I can provide you with detailed information about my setup and with log files on request.

Best regards,

Michael Reiger
Sony DSC-F828, NeatImage, Gimp with Linux
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Michael,

Thank you for detailed report. There are several issues but the most important is the menu issue, right? - We are looking for the cure.

Please make sure you run the latest version of Wine because some of the error messages you received may be caused by an older Wine.

Thank you,
Vlad
Mighty Flea

Post by Mighty Flea »

Hello Vlad,

thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, the menu issue is the most important one.
Being able to view the help would be nice, but is not really important. (I do get this behaviour with Pro 3.17 too, so maybe there is something with my wine setup.)

The rest was just informational. ;-)

Yes, I am using the latest version of wine. (20040408, freshly compiled today. ;-)

Regards,

Michael
Nikolaus

Post by Nikolaus »

Hi there,

I tried 4.0 Demo version on wine, I also get the message with the help files, and the same problem with the menu.

When starting wine, I get the following messages app. 100 times in the shell:
fixme:commctrl:FlatSB_SetScrollProp stub
fixme:commctrl:InitializeFlatSB stub
fixme:tab:TAB_WindowProc Unimplemented msg TCM_HIGHLIGHTITEM
fixme:shell:ShellView_OnNotify -- 0x404428c0 WM_COMMAND fffffff4 unhandled
fixme:shell:ShellView_OnNotify -- 0x404428c0 WM_COMMAND ffffff98 unhandled

I am quite prepared to get the home edition if it runs well in wine. Though of course a Gimp plugin would be really cool :wink:

Nikolaus
rob

NI home / menus / wine

Post by rob »

I have the Home edition, the menus don't work there either. Note that the menus do work in
the 'queueing' window. In other words, load an image, go through the steps, and queue it. Up comes the queue control window, where the menus do work. You can go into prefs here and un-check 'auto-create new job' or whatever it is, then you always come up in this window. from here you can also enable the 'advanced mode' which puts (from what I see) the 3.17 options back in the processing window.

yes, I would dearly *love* a gimp plug-in as well!!!!!!!

good luck finding the fix Vlad.

cheers,

rob.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Looks like we have finally identified the source of the trouble and will fix it. We will publish the updated version of Neat Image soon.

Thank you for your help!
Vlad
Mighty Flea

Post by Mighty Flea »

Yay!

That is very nice to hear. I hate booting to Windows..

It is great that someone out there in the image-processing software world actually cares about us Linuxers. ;-)

Greets,

Michael
pixelcatcher

same here

Post by pixelcatcher »

got the same issues as Mighty Flea has.

But there is also another one. I cannot save the resulting images. When I am trying to save a picture NI tells me, that saving as tiff image is not possible in the demo version.

And that although I was trying to save as jpeg/bmp. Neither worked. It this a known issue? Is there a solution?

wine 20040408, latest NI.

thank you!
pixelcatcher

funny...

Post by pixelcatcher »

queing the job solved the problem.... automatically saving the picture works. But why is there such a strong jpeg compression. a 2000x3000px picture was saved @ just 300k :-/
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

In Demo, the compression level is 91 our 1-100 scale, which is very high quality. The file size may be that small because noise-less image is better compressed by JPEG.

Vlad
rob

saving .jpg

Post by rob »

pixelcatcher wrote:got the same issues as Mighty Flea has.

But there is also another one. I cannot save the resulting images. When I am trying to save a picture NI tells me, that saving as tiff image is not possible in the demo version.

And that although I was trying to save as jpeg/bmp. Neither worked. It this a known issue? Is there a solution?

thank you!
you need to specify the .jpg extension in the filename form, without it it seems to default to tiff. perhaps this is a wine issue as well ? long-standing in any event -- not being able to save was one of my main impetuses for buying, but I am really happy that I did. only when I still couldn't save in the full version did I figure it out.

rob.
Mighty Flea

Post by Mighty Flea »

Hi Vlad,

do you have an estimate when the fixed version will come out?

Cheers

Michael
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

In the coming days, probably this week. We are preparing an update, it will have some improved functionality (besides bug fixes).

Vlad
Mighty Flea

Post by Mighty Flea »

Great! :-)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

An update on this issue: we have found two more bugs and will have to fix them too before publishing the update. The estimated time of the update therefore has to be shifted to the next week. Sorry about the delay.

Thank you,
Vlad