Partial completion of images?

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

No, I could not reproduce that yet. I will send you a PM to try one option.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Thanks, please let me know what else to try. I wonder if anyone else reading this can try this and report whether they see the same problem?
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I sent a PM on May 13. Also, you can download an updated version of the software today - log on to the download area.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Hrm, didn't I reply to your PM already (about downloading the new version)? I deleted the only message that was in my inbox today, but it wasn't a new one. Perhaps you can send it again, in case I missed something in it.

Anyway, I downloaded 4.1 and ran the same tests, but the problem persists on my desktop. I will have to try it on my laptop later tonight, but I'm pretty sure it will also still have the problem. I wonder if it would be worth trying a bare install of XP on another hard drive, and see if the problem is with a patch or some third-party extension.

I also discovered a minor issue with 4.1, but I'll post that separately.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Quite strange that the problem persists and strange that I couldn't reproduce it so far. Maybe a clean install would help but to make things easier you could try to clean install Neat Image first. I will send you an e-mail on how to do that.

Vlad
ruuskan

I've got the same problem

Post by ruuskan »

I'm trying to process a batch of very noisy images, NI batch job crasches with the second image. This happens with both NI 4.0 and 4.1 (Pro+).
The first image comes out OK, but then the dialog box pops up ... processing individual images in PS works just fine.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the report, we are working on this issue. We will update the software as soon as this problem is fixed.

Thank you,
Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

NITeam wrote:Thank you for the report, we are working on this issue. We will update the software as soon as this problem is fixed.
I am pleased to report that NeatImage 4.2 has indeed solved the problem! I've run through a batch of 40 images so far, and nary a crash. Just in time too, since I'll likely have close to 1000 high ISO shots after an event tonight, and I will need all parts of my workflow ticking smoothly.

So what was the problem in the end? Some sort of division-by-zero error that wasn't trapped properly? :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It was very tricky bug in one of the filter routines that manifested itself only in specific filter mode and only with specific image dimensions. Even with all right conditions, it was mostly random. That's why it was difficult to reproduce. But once we found how to reproduce it we were able to locate and fix the bug.

Thank you once again for your feedback and images - these were indispensable in diagnosing the problem.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Wow... so the pixel dimensions had something to do with it to, eh? Yeah, now that I think about it, I did test on hundreds of images, but they had all be produced by C1, which gives me 3076x2052 JPEGs, instead of 3072x2048 from the camera (with a nice multiple of 8 pixels in both directions). Well I must say that I am very pleased and impressed with the persistence you've shown and of course with the positive outcome in the end. :)